Chat with ChatGPT about Heathkit computers.

Mark Garlanger

Jan 26, 2023, 7:49:01 PM1/26/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I had a funny conversation with ChatGPT, the single lines are mine, the paragraphs are ChatGPT's responses. It got several details wrong, but was quick to accept the corrections:

Tell me about old Heathkit computers

Heathkit was a company that sold electronic kits for hobbyists in the mid-20th century. They sold a variety of kits for building items such as radios, televisions, and test equipment. They also sold a few computer kits, including the H8 and the H89.

The H8 was a microcomputer kit based on the Zilog Z80 microprocessor and was released in 1977. The H8 came with a 4K byte memory and ran the CP/M operating system. The H89 was a more advanced computer kit that was released in 1978, it was based on the Z80A and had 64K bytes of memory and ran the CP/M operating system and also had a built-in floppy disk drive. Both of these computers were popular among hobbyists and were used for various tasks such as programming and controlling other devices.

Mark Garlanger
The H-8 originally came with an 8080, not a Z80.

You are correct, my apologies for the error. The H8 was indeed based on the Intel 8080 microprocessor, not the Zilog Z80. It was a microcomputer kit that was released in 1977 and came with a 4K bytes of memory and ran the CP/M operating system. It was popular among hobbyists and was used for various tasks such as programming and controlling other devices.

Mark Garlanger
The H-89 came with a Z80 not Z80A.

I apologize, you are correct again. The H89 was based on the Z80 microprocessor, not the Z80A. It was an advanced computer kit that was released in 1978 and came with 64K bytes of memory and ran the CP/M operating system. It also had a built-in floppy disk drive, which made it a more advanced machine than the H8. Both the H8 and H89 were popular among hobbyists and were used for various tasks such as programming and controlling other devices.

Mark Garlanger
The H89 came out in the summer of 1979, not 1978

I apologize, the H89 was released in the summer of 1979, not 1978. It was an advanced computer kit that came with 64K bytes of memory and ran the CP/M operating system. It also had a built-in floppy disk drive, which made it a more advanced machine than the H8. Both the H8 and H89 were popular among hobbyists and were used for various tasks such as programming and controlling other devices. Thank you for bringing this error to my attention.

Mark Garlanger
When the H89 was first released it only came with 16K of RAM not 64k.

I apologize for the error, you are correct that the H89 was initially released with 16K of RAM. It was later updated to have 64K bytes of memory. The H89 was an advanced computer kit that ran the CP/M operating system and also had a built-in floppy disk drive, which made it a more advanced machine than the H8. Both the H8 and H89 were popular among hobbyists and were used for various tasks such as programming and controlling other devices. Thank you for bringing this error to my attention.

Steven Feinsmith

Jan 26, 2023, 8:06:32 PM1/26/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I have not tried Chat GPT. There were errors in the operating system for the H8 and H89, which should be HDOS from Heathkit as standard when they were released into the market. The CP/M-80 was available at extra cost.

What about the H110 and H120?

Steven

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2023, 8:12:03 PM1/26/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Scary. Now I understand why teachers and professors need their own AI bots to analyze what students turn in!

So I presume it learns as people teach it. but wonder if it just accepts any input or does some verification.  E.g. If you’d told it the H8 was based on the 6502 what would it have done?

Brave new world…

G. Beat

Jan 27, 2023, 6:36:18 AM1/27/23
to SEBHC
You have revealed the “Trap” with AI systems, in their current evolution.
I view current versions as powerful retrieval systems with “Child-like” thinking (numerous Sci-Fi authors have covered).

What is the Baseline of their Knowledge?
How do the differentiate from “Fact or Fiction” or Deception?
Deception / Camouflage is used by multiple animals and plants for survival & social interaction.

How reliable is that Base, to Actual Reality? (Facts versus Guesses/Assumptions versus Outright Lies.
** Early AI systems left to Social media sources, were reported to have “Gone Dark” (Evil)

Did you notice how often, it Apologized?  Standard syntax used for response.

So, its Base Knowledge was in Error.  Does it Actually Learn?  Mark that Info Source as Suspect?
Does the AI incorporate your information as “Reliable, Correct?”

Greg