H8 Z5-4

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2023, 9:13:56 PM2/2/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I’m planning on build out some boards, one of which is the H8 Z5-4 (H8-5 clone++).  I think other than Norberto the only other one I saw building this board was Scott?

I believe there are some special tolerance components that I should be aware of – has anyone done a BOM for this board?  There’s a placeholder for a link on Norberto’s site but it’s not live yet

https://koyado.com/heathkit/New-H8-Website/h8-z5-4-serial-console-cassette-io.html

Also it looks like there’s some calibration required?  Any hints, lessons learned?    Also a high resolution picture of a completed board is always useful.

Scott, Norberto, (others?): can you help?

Thx.

  • Glenn

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 2, 2023, 9:18:11 PM2/2/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
The BOM is almost completed. I just need to add the jumpers. I will send you one tonight. On the calibration, I just need to take some pictures to complete. Sorry but being busy building out other boards . 😳

Feb 3, 2023, 2:00:56 AM2/3/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Preliminary BOM attached. Feel free to update as needed and return to load into website.

Pictured attached is for Rev 1.0 and you have Rev 1.2 (add jumper across JP15).

I will work on the calibration procedure tomorrow.

Norberto

--

H8-Z5-4-BOM.xlsx
H8-Z5-4-UP-AND-RUNNING.jpg

smb...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2023, 10:04:04 AM2/3/23
to SEBHC
Glenn, I build mine and I've been using it for its UARTs, both the 8251 and the 16550. However, I haven't even touched the cassette functionality yet -- just haven't had time. There was nothing in my opinion technically difficult than the build, other than it was a little more work than usual due to the necessary large number of discrete components, which always take me longer to place. Haven't had time to do the calibration procedure yet -- things have just been very busy lately (and I keep going off on tangents).

Scott

norberto.collado koyado.com

Feb 4, 2023, 10:29:25 PM2/4/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Glenn,

Attached is a preliminary calibration procedure for the H8-Z5-4 board. Feel free to update or report back areas to improve. As the jumpers and signals are the same as the Original Heathkit H8-5 board, you can still use the H8-5 manual to calibrate such board.

Thanks,

Norberto

H8-Z5-4 Storage Controller Calibration Procedure.pptx