VCF Midwest : Sept.10 and 11, Elmhurst, IL

G. Beat

Sep 7, 2022, 5:18:32 AM9/7/22
to SEBHC
VCF Midwest is this weekend!
We'll open up at 9am on Saturday and run until late into the night, then we're at it again Sunday morning at 9am.  We'll keep the show open until 4pm that day, but be warned: most exhibitors start packing up around 2:30pm or so.  Come early to catch the full show!

Not sure when to attend?  Check our Talks schedule for your "can't miss" event.

Speaking of "can't miss," the Fabulous VCFMW Auction will kick off at 4pm on Saturday and run until we're out of items or out of gas!  View our early previewlist to see a small fraction of what will be on offer.  Got something to donate?  Best time to stop by is during Friday afternoon during setup, but early Saturday works, too.

How about T-Shirts?  They're still $20 and they'll be on sale starting Saturday morning.  We bought a lot of them this time, so they may not sell out before dinner, but the early bird still gets to advertise VCFMW for us!

That's about it, folks.  It's all on cruise-control from here.  We'll see you at the show!

Your humble spreadsheet jockey,

- jason t

G. Beat

Sep 10, 2022, 1:03:12 PM9/10/22
to SEBHC
I saw more Heathkit H8 and a few H11 than I expected today.
Commodore C64 was greatly reduced, BUT replaced with Digital Equipment and Silicon Graphics systems, as well as some Sun Microsystems boxes.

greg

Glenn Roberts

Sep 10, 2022, 4:28:33 PM9/10/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Not to disparage Commodore but it’s nice to see more balance.  In some sense the Midwest VCF should be “home” to Heathkit, given their Benton Harbor roots. Glad to hear there was good representation.

I’m sure there will be some pictures posted soon. Will be interesting to see. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2022, at 1:03 PM, G. Beat <gregor...@gmail.com> wrote:

I saw more Heathkit H8 and a few H11 than I expected today.

Tim Gilberts

Sep 11, 2022, 10:33:43 AM9/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Browsing around looking for some pictures found this guys photostream:

Has a pic of the Heathkit H8's

If you want a good walkaround from the Friday night

I could only glance a H19 and the H8s at about 5:30 but, it is a great general look while it was quiet on the Friday night...

Tim

Glenn Roberts

Sep 11, 2022, 10:53:48 AM9/11/22
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Pretty sure that's Dave Runkle's exhibit (Astrorat)

William Sudbrink

Sep 11, 2022, 12:04:05 PM9/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

> If you want a good walkaround from the Friday night

He walks right past a Sol-20 and an Altair with two 8” floppies without a pause or mention.  Good grief.

ocl...@earthlink.net

Sep 11, 2022, 12:20:27 PM9/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

And he missed the H-8 table unique in this particular show.

But don’t be too hard on the guy. I have done lots of impromptu walk-around videos, where there is randomly organized stuff everywhere, while trying to extemporize a narration and the camera can only point in one direction at a time. I miss stuff. And if I put that video up on YouTube, it is a certainly that viewers will get upset because I missed their pet ‘thing’.

Paul

> If you want a good walkaround from the Friday night

He walks right past a Sol-20 and an Altair with two 8” floppies without a pause or mention.  Good grief.

Image removed by sender.  width=

image002.jpg

Tim Gilberts

Sep 11, 2022, 12:32:35 PM9/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Indeed each visitor goes with their own interests but hopefully spots something new to them.  Part of the fun of these videos (like going to the shows) is spotting interesting stuff under tables and in corners - I notice the training course manual for the Et-3400 I would love to own was on sale for $10 wish I could have gone…

Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Sep 2022, at 17:20, ocl...@earthlink.net wrote:

And he missed the H-8 table unique in this particular show.

But don’t be too hard on the guy. I have done lots of impromptu walk-around videos, where there is randomly organized stuff everywhere, while trying to extemporize a narration and the camera can only point in one direction at a time. I miss stuff. And if I put that video up on YouTube, it is a certainly that viewers will get upset because I missed their pet ‘thing’.

Paul

> If you want a good walkaround from the Friday night

He walks right past a Sol-20 and an Altair with two 8” floppies without a pause or mention.  Good grief.

image002.jpg

G. Beat

Sep 11, 2022, 11:41:18 PM9/11/22
to SEBHC
Dave Runkle was there.  I ran into him on mid-day Sunday.

greg

G. Beat

Sep 16, 2022, 11:22:22 AM9/16/22
to SEBHC
VCF Midwest has a YouTube channel, where 2022 presentations will be presented.
==
Short Note from VCF Midwest

Seventeen times we've done this thing!  And with thirteen shows under my belt, I can say I never thought our little basement user group meeting (plus a few curious/lost visitors) would be bursting the seams of a 12,000 sqft ballroom, to say nothing of its hallway, foyer and anywhere else we could cram a table.  What's going on here?

Well, YouTube certainly played a role by introducing hundreds or thousands to the hobby.  And it feels like most of them came out to see us last weekend!  Full parking lots at 9am, almost total shirt sell-out by 3pm.  Wow!

So how are we going to cope with success (if that's what this is) next year?  Well, we're going to keep the show free, for starters.  Your generous donations online and at the show and the disturbing lack of self-control of the auction bidders made this show happen!  So why not a VCFMW18 in 2023?  Onward to wherever we're going!

We're also going to look at how to deal with space issues, be it another venue (we really love where we are, though, and we think they love us), some method of human file compression to make sure everyone who wants an exhibit table can get one, or maybe just a big tent.

We're also in discussions with the hotel about extra parking.  We filled the lot briefly in 2019 and it was flattering, really.  But this year got out of hand.  Maybe a shuttle bus from Union Station?  With stops at Portillo's and Lou's, of course.

-jason

Scott Campbell

Sep 21, 2022, 3:49:13 PM9/21/22
to SEBHC
Those were my Altair and SOL-20 for Bonus Life Computers.  Yes, I noticed he skipped past them in the video.  LOL.  Okay.  Different strokes I guess.

William Sudbrink

Sep 21, 2022, 5:20:08 PM9/21/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ah!  So those were yours.  It’s a little unclear.  You don’t seem to be in the main exhibit halls.  Were you showing them or selling them?

Scott Campbell

Sep 21, 2022, 5:34:53 PM9/21/22
to SEBHC
They were for sale.  We're bonuslifecomputers.com.  All of our stuff is for sale, though we like to think of it as "rehoming".

The two Altair drives sold.  We still have the Altair, a couple IMSAI's for sale, and the SOL-20.

steve shumaker

Sep 21, 2022, 6:24:01 PM9/21/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Those don't show on your web page.  Do you have info with prices?

Steve