reproducing the H8 LED "lens"

24 views
Skip to first unread message

glenn.f...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 6:51:50 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com

I’ve had very good results reproducing the acrylic LED lens on the H8.  This piece is often missing or broken on older systems.  Here I’ve used a “smoky” acrylic but could use red as well of course.  At my suggestion Terry Smedley found a company to make dry transfer rub-ons to reproduce the lettering (thanks Terry!).  I’ve used M3 metric cap screws to attach (screws sit just inside the rectangular opening, so no need to drill into the front panel!)

 

Here I’m demonstrating the results on Rusty, but I will be installing this permanently in the new H8-2020 system I’m building out:

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CK2cPjCvcw5Ms5Pt9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWcTuH99ghpG1WCm8

 

geneb

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 9:16:53 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021, glenn.f...@gmail.com wrote:

> I've had very good results reproducing the acrylic LED lens on the H8. This
> piece is often missing or broken on older systems. Here I've used a "smoky"
> acrylic but could use red as well of course. At my suggestion Terry Smedley
> found a company to make dry transfer rub-ons to reproduce the lettering
> (thanks Terry!). I've used M3 metric cap screws to attach (screws sit just
> inside the rectangular opening, so no need to drill into the front panel!)
>
That looks amazing!

Are the dry-transfers set up in a fashion similar to vinyl lettering in
where the letter faces are adhered to a light adhesive so they can be
applied and then the adhesive sheet peeled (or rubbed off)?

I've got an H8 with a split lens and I've been pondering the efforts to
work out a silk-screen process for them, but if the dry transfer is easy
to align... :)

tnx!

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/coll - Go Collimated or Go Home.
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

ScarletDME - The red hot Data Management Environment
A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the classes.
http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

glenn.f...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 10:36:55 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yes. These are "rub on" dry transfers. Terry has the information on how he ordered these but I understand they were not too expensive. After cutting the acrylic I put a bevel on it and polished the edge. The hardware is from Hillman, available at Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3mm-0-5-x-16mm-Allen-Drive-Cap-Screws-4-Count/50088880
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8-Count-3mm-Zinc-Plated-Metric-Nylon-Insert-Lock-Nuts/999996650
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-25-Count-3mm-Zinc-Plated-Metric-Flat-Washer/999996640


I'll put this on the list of things to write up at some point so that it's captured and others can reproduce...

- glenn
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/alpine.LRH.2.21.2109090614270.10084%40sidewinder.deltasoft.com.

geneb

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 10:55:14 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021, glenn.f...@gmail.com wrote:

> Yes. These are "rub on" dry transfers. Terry has the information on how

That I part I got - I was wondering if the set ordered was a totally
complete layout that you put on the blank plastic and apply all the items
at the same time, or if you have to position and set individual
sections/letters.

Glenn Roberts

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 11:14:39 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ah, I see what you're asking.  The way Terry had these laid out you need to do two "rubs".  I messed up one by accidentally applying pressure with my hand . See pic:

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9GzkVnw9b3UcQtYo8

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of geneb

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com.

geneb

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 11:41:35 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021, Glenn Roberts wrote:

> Ah, I see what you're asking. The way Terry had these laid out you need to do two "rubs". I messed up one by accidentally applying pressure with my hand ☹. See pic:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/9GzkVnw9b3UcQtYo8
>
Got it, thanks!

Terry Smedley

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 11:42:53 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to SEBHC
As Glenn described, the transfers are in two blocks - the vertical discrete LED indicator labels, and the horizontal 7-segment LED labels.   I thought it would be easiest to separate those two alignment tasks, rather than making an all-in-one label which seemed like it would be trickier to get in the right position.  Separating the blocks also made it easier to get ten on a page. 

This is the pdf I submitted to http://www.drytransfers.com to make ten sets.  Turnaround was quick - they were out the door the day after I ordered them.

Terry
FP Lens Dry Transfer 8x10.pdf

Norberto Collado

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 11:52:50 AM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com

Very Nice! I liked the metallic Gold. So beautiful.

 

A hand holding a card

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

Norby

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com.

Glenn Roberts

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 12:09:41 PM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm. Gold lettering on smoky acrylic. I just might have to try that!

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 9, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Norberto Collado <norberto...@koyado.com> wrote:



Very Nice! I liked the metallic Gold. So beautiful.

 

<image001.png>

geneb

unread,
Sep 9, 2021, 12:15:13 PM (13 days ago) Sep 9
to SEBHC
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021, Terry Smedley wrote:

> As Glenn described, the transfers are in two blocks - the vertical discrete
> LED indicator labels, and the horizontal 7-segment LED labels. I thought
> it would be easiest to separate those two alignment tasks, rather than
> making an all-in-one label which seemed like it would be trickier to get in
> the right position. Separating the blocks also made it easier to get ten
> on a page.
>
> This is the pdf I submitted to http://www.drytransfers.com to make ten
> sets. Turnaround was quick - they were out the door the day after I
> ordered them.
>
That's cool, thanks! I had no idea such a service existed. :)
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages