Single Socket for IC's to lower parts against PCB.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 25, 2023, 10:10:45 AM1/25/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I have this KRES CPU adapter for the H89 and they do not use any sockets for their IC’s. They added a single pin to lower the part against the pcb. I’m adding this technique to the Z180 and to the 8080A boards to lower the VDIP1, DUART, and RAM IC’s. I hope is a feasible idea.

Ordered this part:

KRES Eng.

Norberto

smb...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2023, 12:05:24 PM1/25/23
to SEBHC
This is an excellent idea, Norberto. I've had numerous projects, notably cartridges for vintage/retro gaming projects, where there isn't enough room to socket an IC. I've been looking for a solution but haven't had time to research the right part, the right hole/pad size in the PCB, etc. Looking forward to hearing how your experience goes.

I did use similar pins for some IN-12 nixie tube projects. The pins I used had ribs that I believe were intended to facilitate a press fit. I had the hole sized just right that I could easily press them in and hold them all straight while soldering. It took some trial and error to get the press-fit just right.

Scott

dwight

Jan 25, 2023, 2:03:07 PM1/25/23
to SEBHC
One can just punch the pin from a machine pin socket. The only disadvantage is that the part that would normally go through the board is smaller than the barrel.
It might also fall through the hole when soldered but id hand soldering, that isn't a serious issue.
No need to make a special order for a socket pin.
Dwight

Jan 25, 2023, 9:03:00 PM1/25/23
to SEBHC
Very interesting. I'll be interested in how it works out. I'm assuming the PCB hole needs to be larger to accommodate the part?

  Darrell

dwight

Jan 27, 2023, 1:10:46 PM1/27/23
to SEBHC
Yes, it needs to be larger. This restricts routing quite a bit, depending on the rules that the fab has, one may only get zero or one trace between pins. Nothing is free. There is a price for every thing.
The socket pins are slightly larger than the straight ones but not so much that it is an issue.
Dwight