H8 being sold the “right” way

Glenn Roberts

Nov 21, 2022, 4:27:45 AM11/21/22
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Nice H8 system on eBay. Selling via traditional auction. In only a few hours it has been bid up to $672… none of this Dutch auction silliness.

Has a Z80 piggybacked onto the 8080 board. H8-4, Zero ORG board, 64k (Heath DRAM I believe), even the original dust cover. It appears to be missing the heat sink bar. Unfortunately like so many sellers he is selling the H17 separately but including the controller board with the H8. At one point it had an H8-5 but that’s apparently not included.

Gold plated backplane pins. A little dusty but no rust (it’s in Arizona). Shown working. Good pictures…

Nice to see someone have a little faith in the open bidding process.

Item #175498167696

Sent from my iPad

Joseph Travis

Nov 21, 2022, 9:04:02 AM11/21/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Bummer the Z80 adapter board appears to be soldered directly to the CPU board. I thought it was interesting that the HA8-8 board was placed in the #1 slot to fill in the gap left by the CPU w/ adapter board.

Terry Smedley

Nov 21, 2022, 9:37:08 AM11/21/22
to SEBHC
The memory card looks like the Trionyx 64K card.  At least the top row of ICs match, and the backside looks to have the rework that was issued after introduction.

tas

Steven Hirsch

Nov 22, 2022, 8:56:01 AM11/22/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 11/21/22 04:27, Glenn Roberts wrote:
> Nice H8 system on eBay. Selling via traditional auction. In only a few
> hours it has been bid up to $672… none of this Dutch auction silliness.
I'm not sure I understand the distinction between Dutch and traditional
auction in the context of eBay.

Glenn Roberts

Nov 22, 2022, 9:17:13 AM11/22/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Dutch approach is to put up for bids but with a very high starting bid, hoping someone will bite. After some period of time the starting bid is reduced (and eBay sends emails about the “price reduction”) and the process continues until someone bites. It usually take weeks. Most sellers also post a “make offer” option at the same time and I suspect that’s how most of these sales end. Usually they just suddenly disappear…

The prevalence of this practice does create a false impression of high value because people say they “saw an H8 on eBay for $5,000”, which also seems to perpetuate the practice.

I believe many people underestimate the power of the upward bidding frenzy that can be ignited by a low starting bid…

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 22, 2022, at 8:56 AM, Steven Hirsch <snhi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Steven Hirsch

Nov 22, 2022, 9:29:03 AM11/22/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 11/22/22 09:17, Glenn Roberts wrote:
> Dutch approach is to put up for bids but with a very high starting bid,
> hoping someone will bite. After some period of time the starting bid is
> reduced (and eBay sends emails about the “price reduction”) and the process
> continues until someone bites. It usually take weeks. Most sellers also
> post a “make offer” option at the same time and I suspect that’s how most
> of these sales end. Usually they just suddenly disappear…
>
> The prevalence of this practice does create a false impression of high
> value because people say they “saw an H8 on eBay for $5,000”, which also
> seems to perpetuate the practice.
>
> I believe many people underestimate the power of the upward bidding frenzy
> that can be ignited by a low starting bid…
Ah - ok. I see now. My philosophy for eBay is simple:

- I don't bid on what you're terming Dutch auctions.

- For anything I do want to bid on, I enter my maximum price in eSnipe and
time it for 5 seconds before close. If I win, I win. Otherwise on to the next.

Why eSnipe? My theory is that it's best to minimize activity on the site and
hold one's cards close. I might be deluding myself, but subjectively it seems
like my score rate has been a lot better since moving to eSnipe.

Glenn Roberts

Nov 27, 2022, 8:04:52 PM11/27/22
to Glenn Roberts, se...@googlegroups.com
Sold for $1,136.51

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 21, 2022, at 4:27 AM, Glenn Roberts <glenn.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nice H8 system on eBay. Selling via traditional auction. In only a few hours it has been bid up to $672… none of this Dutch auction silliness.

smb...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2022, 8:33:05 PM11/27/22
to SEBHC
Does anyone have a spreadsheet that historically tracks H8 prices? A data point like this, an actual action, is very useful information, but it's only one data point and I don't know if it's high or low.

I'm in the market myself, but this listing was more than I could swing. I'm more looking for a "project" (even an empty case might be fine) than a complete system.

Scott

Mike Ladwig

Nov 27, 2022, 9:21:40 PM11/27/22
to SEBHC
Like the pricing approach, but I wish he had included the disk drive in the sale or offered it to the auction winner off eBay. Not so easy to put together a complete system if the drive goes elsewhere.

Glenn Roberts

Nov 27, 2022, 9:56:27 PM11/27/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
There’s really not enough data to draw meaningful conclusions. There are many variables that affect the price, including how good the pictures are and the description, how clean and complete the system is, whether it is demonstrated in operating condition, etc.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 27, 2022, at 8:33 PM, smb...@gmail.com <smb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a spreadsheet that historically tracks H8 prices? A data point like this, an actual action, is very useful information, but it's only one data point and I don't know if it's high or low.

Glenn Roberts

Nov 27, 2022, 9:59:00 PM11/27/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
You’re right Mike, so often the drive and controller get separated. Many of these sales seem to be by people who find something at an estate sale, or are selling a system their father built, etc. I.e. they really don’t know what goes with what…

Sent from my iPad