Cassette motor control question

Mike Ladwig

May 27, 2022, 6:46:01 PM5/27/22
to SEBHC
Hi!

I'm working on finishing my Arduino -based cassette drive, finally completed the record functionality only to find out that my record motor control doesn't seem to be working. I've traced the H8-5 'motor on' control circuitry back to the USART and I don't ever see TXE go low when I start to record. So, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with PAM.

As I understand it, I should be able to load a binary program and after it finishes loading, press the 'Dump' button and have it kick off the recording process. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 27, 2022, 7:58:55 PM5/27/22
to SEBHC
I have sane issue on my new H8-Z5-4 board. With Terry S. help, we found that only the INS8251 works to do this. If you do not have such IC, it doesn't work.

This is the behavior:

INS8251 - When data is in the transmit buffer it will drive TXE low, which will turn on the motor, and drive /CTS low (5 sec timer).
Any other 8251/82C51 vendor - When data is in the transmit buffer it will "NOT" drive TXE low, unless /CTS is low first. So, the cassette motor will never turn on as /CTS is high waiting for TXE to bring it low. I tested Intel 8251 and other with same issue. I ordered some INS8251 and waiting for them to test them out.

Can you verify which 8251 type you have?

We are still brainstorming on how to fix this with hardware. 🙁

Thanks,
Norberto

May 27, 2022, 8:19:14 PM5/27/22
to SEBHC
Wow interesting! Lucky for me you were "first over the hill" on this issue -- I would have pulled out all of my hair before even thinking of this cause.

It looks as if I have two different 8251s: one from NEC (IC123) and one from Intel (IC124).

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 27, 2022, 8:25:08 PM5/27/22
to SEBHC
You can only do the "Load" function with those 8251's, but not the "Dump" function. Once I get the INS8251, I will test one and send it to you.

Norby

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2022 5:19 PM
To: SEBHC <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [sebhc] Cassette motor control question

Mike Ladwig

Jun 2, 2022, 6:43:47 PM6/2/22
to SEBHC
Just to close this out, I realized today that I had a couple of INS8251 in my spares and swapped one in. Worked like a charm and now I have record motor control functionality.

When reading up on this issue, I found a reference to Intel licensing the chip implementation to NEC (and perhaps others) but that many clones (like INS probably) were implementations from the data sheet. I also found a few notes about people having to work around other implementation errata with this generation of USARTS.

Mike Ladwig

Jun 2, 2022, 7:11:53 PM6/2/22
to SEBHC
Of course, it wouldn't be a step forward without also taking a step back. Apparently my five second delay circuit doesn't work as a dump doesn't get any lead-in. Back to tracing signals on my oscilloscope...

Douglas Miller

Jun 2, 2022, 7:14:09 PM6/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Just to be clear, INS is National Semiconductor a.k.a. "NS". I don't recall NEC (Nippon Electric Corp) being a big player in the U.S in the late 70's, but maybe they were. I would expect that NS could easily have been an official second-source (often a requirement for Military/Government contracts), and thus the chip was likely identical to Intel's. Conjecture, of course.

Mike Ladwig

Jun 24, 2022, 12:08:24 PM6/24/22
to SEBHC
An update: my missing five second lead-in delay on record was caused by a bad 33uF tantalum (C111 I think). If anyone has the same issue, I'd be happy to send you a capacitor from the small pouch of them I now have.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jun 24, 2022, 2:01:53 PM6/24/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Glad to know that your board is up and running. I did receive the INS8251 and will test them during the weekend.

I'm going to delete the current HA-Z5-4 board design as it only works with the H89 tapes and not with the H8 tapes. I will start a new board duplicating the H8-5 original design.

Norberto

Sent: Friday, June 24, 2022 9:08 AM

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2022, 9:04:13 AM6/26/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

A shame to have to do a “reset” on this design but understandable…

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jun 27, 2022, 3:30:55 PM6/27/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Two lessons learned here:

  1. The INS8251 and the 8251 are not the same when controlling the cassette interface. They are the same when used as a terminal.
  2. The H8-5 controller and the H89-5 controller cassette tapes cannot be exchange between the H89 and the H8 computers. As there is more cassette programs for the H8, I really do not understand this.

Norberto

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jul 2, 2022, 3:44:11 AM7/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I finally re-created the same circuit as in the H8-5 board. Also, I used same IC’s designations and place components as on the original board. Next steps is to do some clean up and to review the schematics to be correct.

The H8-Cassette circuit takes half of the board. The other half is for the UARTS and USARTS.

Here are some pictures…

Norberto

    1. The INS8251 and the 8251 are not the same when controlling the cassette interface. They are the same when used as a terminal.
    1. The H8-5 controller and the H89-5 controller cassette tapes cannot be exchange between the H89 and the H8 computers. As there are more cassette programs for the H8, I really do not understand this.
    New-H8-5 Board.png

    Glenn Roberts

    Jul 2, 2022, 6:28:03 AM7/2/22
    to se...@googlegroups.com

    Nice. Are you planning to replicate the motor-control reed switch function?

    Sent from my iPad

    On Jul 2, 2022, at 3:44 AM, norberto.collado koyado.com <norberto...@koyado.com> wrote:

    I finally re-created the same circuit as in the H8-5 board. Also, I used same IC’s designations and place components as on the original board. Next steps is to do some clean up and to review the schematics to be correct.

    The H8-Cassette circuit takes half of the board. The other half is for the UARTS and USARTS.

    Here are some pictures…

    Norberto

    image001.png