Home Computer Museum barn find - WOW!

Les Bird

Mar 7, 2023, 8:56:09 AM3/7/23
to SEBHC
Anyone hear about this incredible vintage computer find? Wow.. what a collection! I saw at least one H8 there, a few H19s and some Zenith systems along with pretty much every  vintage computer in existence.

Les

Steven Hirsch

Mar 7, 2023, 9:28:05 AM3/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Amazing.

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2023, 9:37:40 AM3/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

My wife and I have been discussing trip options for Europe. Now I have something to seek out in the Netherlands….

Thanks for sharing!

Les Bird

Mar 7, 2023, 3:31:02 PM3/7/23
to SEBHC
Glenn, that museum looks really fantastic. If I ever make it to the Netherlands I'll definitely make a point to visit it. They don't seem to be big on Heathkit stuff though. I noticed when they were filming their walkthrough of the barn they passed right over the Heath stuff. I wonder if they even have any in their museum.

Also, back in the 80s it was such a free-for-all for companies making home computers. Just about every manufacturer wanted a piece of the action so developed their own system and their own OS. What a time to be alive. And when you look at that collection it's just astonishing at how many different systems there were back then. I fondly remember spending some time at the Radio Shack stores (within walking distance) playing around with their TRS80 Model 1 and 3. My neighbor got a TI99/4a so I got to play around with that for a bit. A friend of mine in high school got an Atari 400 so I played with that for a bit. My dad brought home a Timex ZX80 once so I got some hands on with that. My first job out of high school was programming on a Zilog MCZ-1 which ran the RIO operating system which is a super rare computer, mostly a business machine. I worked at a mom and pop computer store selling Commodore Amiga's, 64's and 128's. Had a lot of time to play around on those systems and I bought an Amiga 1000 for myself and still have it.

Now-a-days there are basically 2 systems - Apple and PC - and then there's the hobby side where you can get RPi's etc.

Les

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2023, 8:01:09 PM3/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ok so our age difference is showing 😊  I graduated from high school in ’76 and we didn’t have access to time sharing or mini computers so my introduction to computers (and Heathkit) was a heath analog computer and chart recorder, which I discovered in a back room of the physics classroom.  I was also an avid reader of popular electronics and built their logic simulator (it used RTL chips – I still have it!).

So the microcomputer scene mostly evolved while I was in college. I stuck to my studies, eventually getting a B.S. M. Eng. and Ph.D. in Computer & Systems engineering. Had a great career but I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I’d met up with, say, a young Bill Gates or Steve Jobs and said the heck with college… well ya never know.

But I still found ways to marry my career and the PC evolution. You’re right it was quite a time to live through – which is why I feel it’s so important to preserve its history.  The best analogy I can think of is the early days of automobiles, where there were all kinds of cars and companies in the game. Like all industries eventually consolidation leads to a few key players.

Thanks for sharing your story!

  • Glenn

Douglas Miller

Mar 7, 2023, 8:19:04 PM3/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Interesting how much difference location can make. I graduated the same year, but had 3 years of timeshare BASIC under my belt, plus FORTRAN and COBOL on the district's mainframe, and having pretty much mastered a Wang 600. I was too impatient for college and got a 2-year degree and went to work in someone's garage in the Seattle "Magnolia" neighborhood. No vast riches as were found in other people's garage, but good experience.

Berg Steiger

Mar 22, 2023, 12:23:41 PM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I had just turned 10 when the Altair arrived and within a few years had the fortune of discovering 2 people nearby with computers - one had an Apple ][, the other was a electrical engineer who had a gamut of the early SBCs (KIM-1, AIM-1, SYM-1, H8, TRS-80, CoCo). Used them when I could without taking up too much of his time. A teacher in high school put together an H-89 (CP/M) and the LSI-11-based Heath system (RT-11 on dual 8” floppies, woohoo!). Got my intro to UNIX early, Research Version 6 on a PDP-11 that he got running as well (multiple terminals for classes). Eventually my family purchased an Ohio Scientific 4P, which I need to get running again…have the full SAMS manual for it...
I went into mathematics in college but was in the IT world for a while (the 90’s, db admin/developer for a semiconductor fab) and so was in UNIX workstation-land. These were excellent so I as I saw the PC hegemony arriving I decided to preserve part of workstation history - my collection is of NeXT, SGI and Sun Microsystems, bought in the years 2001-2006 [minus the SPARCstation IPC & 20 that I used for work-at-home in the 90’s and still have running).

Cheers,
Michael Doyle
Charlottesville, Virginia

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2023, 2:06:06 PM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Michael. Wondering if you still have any interest in the H8/H89/H11 world? Any plans to restore an old Heathkit system?

- Glenn

Mar 22, 2023, 2:26:41 PM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hello Glenn (& all you SEHBC’ers)!

Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading the list for some months - y’all are an extremely active, knowledgeable and creative group!

I shall have to be content with continuing to follow the group's activities online - I have my plate full with work, raising a 15 year-old, and keeping myself in shape for the outdoor activities I also love, in addition to trying to keep the bevy of machines I already have running (nearly 40 with the PPC Macintoshes that I also use daily - nary a Windows box to be seen, except a work laptop). Not to mention total lack of room for another machine - the basement computing cave is very much full. I’m lucky I’ve got one at all...

I really should look for an 8-bit group/forum to find anyone else who has an Ohio Scientific machine running. I suppose VCF would be a good place to start. Ah, the hours I spent coding in MS BASIC-in-ROM with the 64x64 character screen (lots of PEEKs & POKEs) and saving to cassette tape... Alas the tapes all drowned in Hurricane Katrina, along with (the lower) half of my parent’s house; fortunately I had the computer and manuals stored in my home, far far away from a coastline…

Cheers,
Michael

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2023, 4:10:34 PM3/22/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
any pictures of your colossal "cave" of equipment?

Several members of our group also suffered loss of their collections to Katrina....