the VCF gang

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2024, 8:00:45 PMApr 13
to se...@googlegroups.com

Enjoyed a great dinner this evening with (from left to right) Darrell, Alex, Joe and myself at the Princess Maria Diner in Wall, NJ. It was great seeing everyone today. Also Rick Davis (he had to leave before dinner) and Lee Hart were there among other familiar names.  Special shout out to Joe for doing tag team with me on the booth. He was a great asset to have when the crowd got thick (and loud).

Lots of traffic at our booth and lots of interest in everything we had to show.

We were all kept pretty busy today so not too many pictures yet. I’ll try and take some more tomorrow.

  • Glenn

image003.jpg

Les Bird

Apr 14, 2024, 9:19:51 AMApr 14
to SEBHC
Awesome to see this Glenn.. looking forward to more pics.

Les

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2024, 9:51:05 AMApr 14
to se...@googlegroups.com

George Farris

Apr 14, 2024, 2:20:29 PMApr 14
to se...@googlegroups.com
I see a phone and what looks like a laptop on the table, where is the portable H8 Glenn:-)

George

PS: Nice to put names to faces.
image003.jpg

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 14, 2024, 3:03:40 PMApr 14
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thank you! Great setup…

What is the blue box on top of the terminal for?

From: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of glenn.f...@gmail.com <glenn.f...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, April 14, 2024 at 6:51 AM
To: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [sebhc] Re: the VCF gang

Here are a few pix…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nCZtq4xNJLfcEQjL7

On Saturday, April 13, 2024 at 6:00:45PM UTC-6 Glenn Roberts wrote:

Enjoyed a great dinner this evening with (from left to right) Darrell, Alex, Joe and myself at the Princess Maria Diner in Wall, NJ. It was great seeing everyone today. Also Rick Davis (he had to leave before dinner) and Lee Hart were there among other familiar names.  Special shout out to Joe for doing tag team with me on the booth. He was a great asset to have when the crowd got thick (and loud).

Lots of traffic at our booth and lots of interest in everything we had to show.

We were all kept pretty busy today so not too many pictures yet. I’ll try and take some more tomorrow.

  • Glenn

Image removed by sender.

Glenn Roberts

Apr 14, 2024, 5:14:54 PMApr 14
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
There were reduced scale PDP machines (Pi DP11 and 10). Got me thinking about the possibility of doing a half scale working reproduction of the H8... like I really need another project...

Glenn Roberts

Apr 14, 2024, 5:34:44 PMApr 14
to se...@googlegroups.com
The blue box was brought by Joe. Outwardly it’s an old 212 modem box but internally it’s been gutted, and it now uses a WiFi connection to simulate a modem connection

Instead of “dialing” ATDT and a phone number, you connect to an IP address and can access various simulated bulletin board systems on the Internet. Only got to play with it briefly as we were constantly busy with visitors. I’m sure Joe can provide more in-depth info…

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 14, 2024, at 3:03 PM, norberto.collado koyado.com <norberto...@koyado.com> wrote:

Thank you! Great setup…

What is the blue box on top of the terminal for?

<image001.png>

Mark Garlanger

Apr 14, 2024, 6:37:33 PMApr 14
to se...@googlegroups.com
Looks like you guys had a great time. One of these years, I need to head up there for the event...

Mark

Glenn Roberts

Apr 14, 2024, 6:55:42 PMApr 14
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Pretty far for you I think!

Glenn Roberts

Apr 14, 2024, 6:57:57 PMApr 14
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Heading home after a long (but fun) weekend....
20240414_185605.jpg

Joseph Travis

Apr 14, 2024, 9:51:54 PMApr 14
to se...@googlegroups.com
I got home tonight a little past 9pm (13 hours on the road, 650 miles).  I had a flat tire 305 miles into my return trip.  Fortunately I had an emergency spare tire.  Unfortunately it only had 10 lbs. of air in it (it requires 60 lbs.).  I was in the middle of Nowhere, PA and had to drive 12 miles on that tire before I got to a place that had air.

I made a stop in Akron to buy some old Heathkit audio equipment that had been listed on fb Marketplace for several months at $750.  Long story short, I saved  $750.  The seller was a bit upset with my offer and I told her, "Just because it's old, doesn't make it gold".

Had a good time while I was there at VCF.  I very much enjoyed getting together with the rest of the crew!  Thank you very much!

Joe

Darrell Pelan

Apr 14, 2024, 10:47:36 PMApr 14
to SEBHC
Thanks for a great gathering. I really enjoyed in person discussion and putting faces with names. Alex even brought an invoice from my old company for the 20 MB hard drive, complete with my hand written note from 1990.

  Darrell

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 15, 2024, 12:04:22 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com

Scary and I’m glad you made it home safe. I always carry with me in the car trunk, a small air tire pump just in case, and always had a use for it.

Norberto

Error! Filename not specified.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 15, 2024, 12:05:34 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com

Nice boat ride and beautiful sunset picture.

Error! Filename not specified.

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2024, 5:27:25 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Glad everyone got home safe. Must be flat tire season as I had one on the way up. It was “fun” pulling out all my Heathkit gear (in the drizzling rain) to get the spare (and then figuring out where to squeeze the tire in with all my stuff). But all ended well.

Great weekend.

New favorite saying there Joe: old != gold.  !!!

Sent from my iPad

Steven Hirsch

Apr 15, 2024, 9:49:13 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 4/15/24 05:27, Glenn Roberts wrote:
> Glad everyone got home safe. Must be flat tire season as I had one on the way
> up. It was “fun” pulling out all my Heathkit gear (in the drizzling rain) to
> get the spare (and then figuring out where to squeeze the tire in with all my
> stuff). But all ended well.

What is this "spare" of which you speak? My 2022 Acura has no spare. Instead
they supply a little electric inflation pump that shoots some sort of goo into
the tire. Scares the heck out of me and I may end up buying a $$$$
third-party spare.

Joseph Travis

Apr 15, 2024, 9:59:10 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with the flat fix goo.  I had to use that stuff once... didn't work.  Ended up getting the car towed to a service station where the mechanic was pissed about having to clean out all the goo so he could fix the tire.

Darrell Pelan

Apr 15, 2024, 10:00:35 AMApr 15
to SEBHC
You guys are scaring me. I still have four hours to drive home. My car came with the silly air pump and green goo. I dropped $500 on Amazon to get a real spare. Would be a good idea to check its air pressure :-)

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2024, 10:01:10 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Honda keeps trying to solve this problem, with dubious results

Our 2005 Odyssey mini van came with Michelin “PAX” run flat tires. They had a solid core inside that would supposedly let you run on a flat tire, at least until the next service station. But only Honda dealers or properly equipped Michelin dealers could service these. The tires wore out in only 30,000 miles and cost almost $2,000 to replace! If you got the “Touring” trim level (which we wanted) you had to take these tires. Oh and even the wheels were unique, so you couldn’t just swap to a different tire easily.

This dumb decision spawned a small “de-PAX” industry, selling new wheels and a donut spare tire. After our second set of PAX tires wore out at 60K we did the de-PAX thing…
Never regretted it a bit. The whole PAX thing died a slow death I think…

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 15, 2024, at 9:49 AM, Steven Hirsch <snhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/15/24 05:27, Glenn Roberts wrote:
>> Glad everyone got home safe. Must be flat tire season as I had one on the way up. It was “fun” pulling out all my Heathkit gear (in the drizzling rain) to get the spare (and then figuring out where to squeeze the tire in with all my stuff). But all ended well.
>
> What is this "spare" of which you speak? My 2022 Acura has no spare. Instead they supply a little electric inflation pump that shoots some sort of goo into the tire. Scares the heck out of me and I may end up buying a $$$$ third-party spare.

Dick McCoy

Apr 15, 2024, 10:58:05 AMApr 15
to SEBHC
Glenn:

Thanks for the great photos !

I noticed in the photo of the Altair 8800 clone,  a nice looking
Paper Tape reader, with Spools.

Maybe a 3D Printer project for Erik ??  Probably sell
quite a few ......

Dick

Darrell Pelan

Apr 15, 2024, 11:06:52 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. It's why I bought a real spare for road trips.  Flats always seem to happen at the worst time,  place,  and weather.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/CAGQDgBDEsA5xEQtjddb3OXtZrrXG%3DcSx7R_wLDmhmc20DMErLw%40mail.gmail.com.

steve shumaker

Apr 15, 2024, 11:47:37 AMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that as well - did some poking and found the project page for it

STL for a base is here:
https://pinshape.com/items/108598-3d-printed-paper-tape-reader-machine

Actual reader unit is here:
https://www.e-basteln.de/computing/papertape/overview/

Steve

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2024, 11:58:33 AMApr 15
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
That punched tape reader was cool. They demoed it on their Altair clone. A little surprised it's hand cranked. Would seem straightforward to motorize it...

Only really much use if you have a source of punched tapes or know someone who can make them...

Alex - K3CIM

Apr 15, 2024, 2:15:02 PMApr 15
to SEBHC
and many thanks to the Heathkit gang!!! especially to Joe Travis who not only gave me a board with sd card on it but also installed it.!!!
after i got home it took me a hour and a half to unload the car.  i am praying that my medical issues let me go to vcfE next year.
Take care
Alex B

Joseph Travis

Apr 15, 2024, 2:31:40 PMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to Norberto for supplying the H89-CF PCB, CF-IDE adapter and other stuff!

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2024, 2:55:11 PMApr 15
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Take care Alex.  Your health is job one

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 15, 2024, 7:10:58 PMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Alex, please take care of yourself!

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2024 11:54:59 AM
To: <se...@googlegroups.com> <se...@googlegroups.com>

Steven Hirsch

Apr 15, 2024, 8:45:12 PMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 4/15/24 10:00, Darrell Pelan wrote:
> You guys are scaring me. I still have four hours to drive home. My car came
> with the silly air pump and green goo. I dropped $500 on Amazon to get a real
> spare. Would be a good idea to check its air pressure :-)

Hahaha... I just ordered a skinny spare + jack kit from Modern Spare. They
provide a bracket so I can mount under the trunk floor. It has to share the
space with the battery, but I guess there's enough clearance. Worth $500 for
the peace of mind.

W2HX

Apr 15, 2024, 9:44:59 PMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com

It was great to meet some of you in person. Alex, Glenn, et. al. Now to get my Heathkit stuff up and running!

73 Eugene W2HX
My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@w2hx/videos

Apr 15, 2024, 10:08:55 PMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Messages I heard most often:

“I remember drooling over the Heathkit stuff in the catalog, but I couldn’t afford it”

“I wish I’d never gotten rid of mine”

“I’m inspired. Now I’m going to go home and get mine working”

Sent from my iPad

Joseph Travis

Apr 15, 2024, 11:44:32 PMApr 15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Did you use any of your floppy drives Glenn?  Alex "just had to" test his H17 and H37 after I installed the H89-CF board.  I made a H19DEMO disk for him to give to the museum.  Other than that, I don't recall the floppy drives being used for demo, mostly the CF based drives.

Glenn Roberts

Apr 16, 2024, 5:48:22 AMApr 16
to se...@googlegroups.com
I didn’t do anything with the floppy drives other than explain the different types and function. I showed a few people the gotek. Saturday morning I had the 3-drive H17 cabinet sitting on top of the Protocase machine, but by afternoon I had removed it and opened the top of the computer. Pretty much everyone wanted to look “under the hood”
So I left the covers off all the machines…

Sent from my iPad

Darrell Pelan

Apr 17, 2024, 8:58:45 AMApr 17
to SEBHC
Pictures from VCF East VCF East 2024

Joseph Travis

Apr 17, 2024, 9:13:25 AMApr 17
to se...@googlegroups.com
Darrell,

Please change the sharing option for the photos to "Anyone with the link".  Thanks.

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2024, 9:16:06 AMApr 17
to se...@googlegroups.com

Nice pix!  Alex showed me the invoice but I completely missed the point about the connection to your old company. Also MT Modem…  nice connection!

  • Glenn

Apr 17, 2024, 9:24:56 AMApr 17
to SEBHC
Second try on link

Darrell Pelan

Apr 17, 2024, 9:31:11 AMApr 17
to SEBHC
And it only took me 35 years to meet my commitment to add Ymodem support :-)