triple floppy drive question

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2021, 7:01:38 AM9/26/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

I’ve got my “gaming” system configured with three 3.5” floppy drives as units 0, 1 and 2.  These work fine with front panel universal boot and also with HDOS (DK0:, DK1: and DK2: ).  My CP/M configuration, which boots via Quikstor, shows the following when I do a QSMAP:

E:            H-37 5” DD Floppy           0

F:            H-37 5” DD Floppy           1

G:           H-37 5” DD Floppy           0

The problem is the third drive is physically mapped to unit 0.  When I call for drive G: it prompts me to swap the disk in drive E:

I want to map G: to unit 2.  Based on a scan of the BIOS code I believe that it’s configured to allow three physical drives.  I’m just trying to figure out how to “un map” G: to E:.  I don’t see any option in QSMAP to do this. There is a QSCONFIG.COM program but it just hangs when I try and run it (wonder why?)

Can anyone help me?  No huge deal but if I’ve got three drives it’d be nice to configure the OS accordingly…

Thanks

  • Glenn

Terry Smedley

Sep 26, 2021, 10:03:57 AM9/26/21
to SEBHC
Glenn:

About QSCONFIG hanging .... is it just waiting (with no prompting!) for a few spacebar presses to determine the console baud rate?  IIRC, CONFIGUR also does that.

Terry

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2021, 11:55:46 AM9/26/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Well.  Some combination of multiple SPACE and/or RETURN characters eventually elicited a response (but it spent a long time “thinking” without telling me what it was doing…)  Thanks terry!  QSCONFIG analyzed my hardware (it found three drives) and asked me to type “Y” if it was a standard config.  I hit “Y” and now lo and behold i have three drives.  Thanks!