Hello - serial question

Jeff G

Jan 17, 2022, 11:12:42 PM1/17/22
to SEBHC

Hey everyone - not sure how I found this group but I've had an H89 sitting on the shelf for some time that I've been meaning to play with. I was curious about the serial ports on it and after doing a little testing, determined that at least the DTE port wasn't working. I was following Herb's post here: https://retrotechnology.com/restore/h89_trans.html and figured that I may be able to at least see some activity on the serial line by doing something like:

pip pun:=a:\test.txt   (I created a test file)

or even something like: pip pun:=con: (and type some letters in) would get some activity over the port, but I had nothing.

I opened the case and found that the DTE connector was connected to P603 and not P605, so I went to correct that, and unfortunately managed to re-install the card one pin off, which managed to un-install the 7912 regulator.

So while I fix the 7912; can anyone tell me if my PIP commands above would work, at least do something? I have a handful of disks but the one I'm booting on has corruption or the floppy drive isn't too happy. It boots and works but complains about bad sectors a lot.

Thanks!

Jeff

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2022, 9:00:02 AM1/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Not sure how reliable your test is. Would seem to depend on how your CP/M is configured?

Attached is a loopback test procedure from the service manual. Perhaps this will be useful?  You’ll need to key in the code from the ROM monitor prompt.

  • Glenn

H88-H89_ServiceDataManual Serial Port Testing.pdf

Jeff G

Jan 18, 2022, 10:17:37 AM1/18/22
to SEBHC
Thanks! I'll try this out once I get it going again.

Jeff