Interesting Z89 I/O board

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2022, 9:07:33 AM1/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

p.s. in looking through my doc’s to answer Jeff’s question I came across a manual for the Z-89-11 which was a Multi-Function I/O card that contained an 8250 UART, 2661 Enhanced Programmable Communications Interface (EPCI), and 8255 parallel port.

I’m no Z89 expert but I was not aware that Heath made such a card!

I seem to have the complete document (albeit a photocopy) including schematic…

  • Glenn

Jan 18, 2022, 10:12:50 AM1/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Glenn,

One of the main additions in shifting from CP/M 2.2.03 to 2.2.04 was the
addition of Z89-11 drivers. The parallel port was programmed as a
standard Centronics port. It also came with a cable that converted the
25-pin D connector to a Centronics connector (36 pin?) on the printer
side of the cable.

I still have the one I bought in the early 80s. I'm thinking the cable
is still around here somewhere, too.

Terry

On 1/18/2022 9:07 AM, glenn.f...@gmail.com wrote:
> p.s. in looking through my doc’s to answer Jeff’s question I came across
> a manual for the Z-89-11 which was a Multi-Function I/O card that
> contained an 8250 UART, 2661 Enhanced Programmable Communications
> Interface (EPCI), and 8255 parallel port.
>
> I’m no Z89 expert but I was not aware that Heath made such a card!
>
> I seem to have the complete document (albeit a photocopy) including
> schematic…
>
> * Glenn

Glenn Roberts

Jan 18, 2022, 10:27:43 AM1/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for enlightening me Terry. looks like a nice card to have.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/0bec7dcc-7b3c-20d8-c9cc-05021737a95d%40cfl.rr.com.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jan 18, 2022, 11:47:34 AM1/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
I did copy the 8255 parallel port from the Z-89-11 card and added to the H8-SSI board with minor enhancements. I tested under HDOS and it worked fine. I reconfigured to use the standard IBM cable which you can buy from Amazon. It plugs directly from the board into the printer. No needs to do any cable re-wiring.