Lot of H8 manuals on ebay...

Joe Travis N6YPC

Oct 18, 2022, 1:53:01 PM10/18/22
to SEBHC
I'm curious who else in the group may be watching this auction?

We had agreed upon a price and I bought my dead H8 from this woman for a princely sum of money.  When I came to pick it up, she withheld the manuals and wanted more money for them.  I explained to her the manuals were all available online and weren't worth nearly as much as she expected (about $200 at the time).

She contacted me 3 weeks ago and offered to sell them to me again.  We didn't discuss a price because we both agreed it would depend upon condition.  I drove over there, looked them over and offered $25 for the pile (mostly because I paid too much for the H8) and she was expecting at least $25 per book.  I don't really need the books but would like the full size schematics.  Oh well.

'Just throwing out the backstory on this in case anyone was thinking about buying them.

Regards,
Joe Travis n6ypc

rw...@robhome.com

Oct 18, 2022, 2:04:46 PM10/18/22
to sebhc Google Group
Maybe we can all offer $25 for the lot.

I think it’s crazy the way people are inflating the price of everything.

Rob Waggoner
________________________________
I'd just hate to think she would throw them away out of spite just because she didn't get what she wants for them.  She has that kind of attitude.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/SA0PR01MB6284BEAAD2F97A14D2DB2BEDA1289%40SA0PR01MB6284.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Steven Hirsch

Oct 18, 2022, 2:19:49 PM10/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 10/18/22 14:08, Joseph Travis wrote:
> I'd just hate to think she would throw them away out of spite just because
> she didn't get what she wants for them. She has that kind of attitude.

I'm guessing the docs and hardware belonged to her late husband. The attitude
can be part of the grieving process. I've run into it before.

Glenn Roberts

Oct 18, 2022, 3:09:12 PM10/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
We’ll of course despite what many eBay sellers may think, it’s ultimately the *buyer* who determines the price. What seems to be in vogue these days is the Dutch auction approach, where a seller starts at a very high price and gradually reduces it until they get a bite.

I’m no scholar when it comes to auction strategy and game theory, but I personally doubt the value of this strategy. I’ve watched many auctions that started at a reasonable or very low price (sometimes $1) and quickly garnered the attention of many bidders, often resulting in very attractive final bids as everyone gets caught up in the action…

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 18, 2022, at 2:04 PM, rw...@robhome.com wrote:
>
> Maybe we can all offer $25 for the lot.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/SA0PR01MB6284BEAAD2F97A14D2DB2BEDA1289%40SA0PR01MB6284.prod.exchangelabs.com.
winmail.dat

Joseph Travis

Oct 18, 2022, 7:31:34 PM10/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Her husband is very much alive.  He was present when I bought the H8. She told me she is/was selling this for her brother who has some debt(s).

Joseph Travis

Oct 21, 2022, 11:53:05 PM10/21/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
I and others received an offer to buy these for $60.  Apparently someone else took the bait.  I'm just glad she's not throwing them away.