H89-Z37 & H89-Z67 Boards!

Norberto Collado

Jul 6, 2015, 1:44:04 AM7/6/15
to SEBHC List
I'm just wondering if I need to duplicate the following parts to support the H89-Z37 & H89-Z67 boards properly. I'm assuming that everyone has the H89 up to date to support such boards and I shouldn't be concerned at all. Below are the unique parts that are hard to find:

I/O decoder ROM – 444-61 - Part no longer available. Will need to design a small board to support it with a GAL.
Hard drive decoder – 444-83 - Status: I can still find such part which is heavily used in vintage GAMES. Can design a small board to support it by a GAL.
Memory decoder to support 64K of RAM – 444-66 -  Part no longer available. Will need to design a small board to support it with a GAL.

Thanks,

Norberto

Lee Hart

Jul 6, 2015, 11:53:16 AM7/6/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Norberto Collado wrote:
> I/O decoder ROM – 444-61 - Part no longer available. Will need to design
> a small board to support it with a GAL...

Hi Norberto,

I have two tubes of blank MMI 6309 256x8 PROMs (used to make the 444-42,
444-43, 444-61 and 444-66) and a programmer.

I don't have any blank 32x8 PROMs (444-41, 444-83 etc.) but as you say
they are still widely available from several suppliers (Jameco still
carries them, for example).

But you can obviously make GALs and little adapter boards anyway if desired.

--
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
-- Albert Einstein

Steven Hirsch

Jul 6, 2015, 1:00:50 PM7/6/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 07/06/2015 11:53 AM, Lee Hart wrote:
> Norberto Collado wrote:
>> I/O decoder ROM – 444-61 - Part no longer available. Will need to design
>> a small board to support it with a GAL...

Hi, Norberto. The 6309 cross-references to a number of other parts:

Fujitsu 7118
82S135
74S471
28L22

I've been successful in finding 74S471s in the past. Programming is another
story. I have a programmer that will do bipolar PROMs, but have pluggable
jumper blocks currently only for:

256x8
512x8

It's possible to build them for other types, but sort of a PITA.

Norberto Collado

Jul 6, 2015, 2:07:25 PM7/6/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lee,

If you can provide such support for those needing to upgrade their systems, that will be great to avoid board development. I can help with the MTR90 or the MMS EPROMS monitor if needed.

Thanks,

Norberto
> I/O decoder ROM – 444-61 - Part no longer available. Will need to design
> a small board to support it with a GAL...

Hi Norberto,

I have two tubes of blank MMI 6309 256x8 PROMs (used to make the 444-42,
444-43, 444-61 and 444-66) and a programmer.

I don't have any blank 32x8 PROMs (444-41, 444-83 etc.) but as you say
they are still widely available from several suppliers (Jameco still
carries them, for example).

But you can obviously make GALs and little adapter boards anyway if desired.

--
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
-- Albert Einstein

Norberto Collado

Jul 6, 2015, 2:17:42 PM7/6/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback on possible alternative parts. If parts are available I can also support programming them.

My main concern is that some Heath boards will not work with alternate parts due to timing. Not sure on why? I tested on my H89-SBC the original Heath parts and alternate parts and both worked fine, but it didn't I think for Harold, and if I recall properly Ken provide the original parts to enable him.

Thanks,

Norberto
>> I/O decoder ROM – 444-61 - Part no longer available. Will need to design
>> a small board to support it with a GAL...

Hi, Norberto. The 6309 cross-references to a number of other parts:

Fujitsu 7118
82S135
74S471
28L22

I've been successful in finding 74S471s in the past. Programming is another
story. I have a programmer that will do bipolar PROMs, but have pluggable
jumper blocks currently only for:

256x8
512x8

It's possible to build them for other types, but sort of a PITA.

hl...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2015, 10:38:09 AM7/12/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Norberto,

I am now building the H89-Z37 board. I have a few questions.
1. Can you provide some construction details for the 16 pin ribbon cable. I don't know how to construct.
2. I plan to use the H89-Z37 with the H89-SBC and I am not sure how to hook up the 16 pin ribbon cable to the mother board. You show pictures for the H89 mother board, but not the SBC.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Harold

Norberto Collado

Jul 12, 2015, 12:43:14 PM7/12/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hello Harold,

Yes you are right and I forgot about it. I will work on it this week and attached are some simple instructions on how to build-out the cable.

Norberto Collado

Jul 12, 2015, 12:47:02 PM7/12/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
File attached!

:)
Building the 16 pin ribbon cable for the Z67 Controller.pdf

Norberto Collado

Jul 12, 2015, 2:37:31 PM7/12/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Harold,

Attached is an update file. Still missing the Computer and the backplane configuration (WIP).

Norberto
Building the 16 pin ribbon cable for the Z67 Controller.pdf

hl...@aol.com

Jul 25, 2015, 10:00:16 AM7/25/15
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi Norberto,

Thanks for the information on building the ribbon cable.
I haven't built the cable yet because I am not certain which IC on the H89-SBC motherboard has to be removed. Is it the same U557 as described for the H89?

Thanks,

Harold

Jul 29, 2015, 11:48:22 AM7/29/15
to SEBHC, hl...@aol.com
Hello Harold,

I shall be able to get you the information by this weekend or earlier.

Here is some information, but same information applies from the H89 Manual.
- Remove IC U558 - 74HCT540
- Remove IC U557 - 74LS148
- Insert jumper Z37 next to U557.
- Insert 16 pin ribbon cable into U557

On the backplane once I get home, I shall send you some pictures.

Norberto