H17 rehab

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2024, 2:55:59 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Felt like “getting my hands dirty” so I’ve been getting back to rehabbing some old H17 drives.  Currently working on some Wangco 82s (predecessor to the Siemens FDD100-5.)  The only issues I’ve found with these is the 40 years of gunk.  I haven’t been running into electronics issues, so far.

These were beautifully built devices. Very precise machining, and ball bearing races at all the rotational points, but those bearings, and the worm gear, get gunked up.  some of the stepper motors wouldn’t even budge.  But once you clean them up they perform like a champ.  I’ve done two so far and both can reliably step down to 8ms!  They pass the three-phase H17 test with flying colors.

Feels good to get these babies back into working condition!

Are there others of you out there trying to get your old drives to work?  Happy to help…

  • Glenn

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 19, 2024, 3:36:00 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com
Where you buy the belt?

Apr 19, 2024, 4:30:06 PMApr 19
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Have not had to. The belts are all in good shape

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 19, 2024, 6:46:42 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com
Great! It will be nice to find a replacement belt supplier in case is needed.😀
Apr 19, 2024, 9:14:24 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com
The most common failure on these drives occurs on the Motor Drive PCB.  C9 is a 3.3uF tantalum capacitor that will short out which in turn takes L1, a 10 uH choke with it in a pyrotechnic fashion.

I wanna plug Terry Smedley's XRSIZR.ABS program as a very valuable tool for testing / repairing / exercising the floppy drives.  It is included in the H89-CF image in the HDOS 2.0 partition.  NOTE:  The CPU speed must be set to 2 MHz!

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2024, 9:34:24 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ditto on the XRSIZR plug. Very useful!

The separate PCB for motor drive was something that Siemens introduced in the FDD100-5.  The Wangco Model 82 has the motor speed control on the main board.  so far have brought back four of the Wangco drives to useful service.

I have one of the Siemens drives that experienced the exact failure Joe mentions so that’s gonna have to wait for a future date…

Thanks.

  • Glenn