Manx Software Aztec C for HDOS

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2023, 8:22:02 PM1/26/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I have posted the disk images and documentation for Manx Software Aztec C on the SEBHC Wiki site:

https://github.com/sebhc/sebhc/wiki#manx-software-systems

there are two sets of disks: Aztec C and Aztec CII (the latter being a more recent release).  The manual is also posted. You’ll need to load the files from Aztec C first, then overlay the Aztec CII ones on top. There are 8080 and Z80-based versions of the tool and you’ll need to rename the appropriate one to CC.ABS.  these files are in H8D format, consistent with how Les has laid out the site.

I have just begun to look at the compiler myself so don’t have any guidance, suggestions or commentary as yet except to note that Aztec CII requires more RAM. You may have to unload some device drivers or otherwise free up memory and you’ll need a fully-loaded system (56K for HDOS).  I will be curious to see how this compares to our (well, at least my) old favorite Software Toolworks C/80.

Many thanks to Rick Davis for this “rescue”!

(p.s. I think someone said they have the CP/M version??  I’m happy to post that as well…)

  • Glenn

Lee Adamson

Jan 26, 2023, 10:07:43 PM1/26/23
to SEBHC
Thank you, everyone involved!

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2023, 9:10:49 AM1/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I have started to experiment with Aztec C.  I’ve started a Discord thread to capture notes, comments, discussion…

https://discordapp.com/channels/1051285909292716112/1068532035804733512

Dick McCoy

Jan 27, 2023, 9:59:23 AM1/27/23
to SEBHC
Hi..Glenn:

Where is  the Software Toolworks C/80 posted?
I didn't see it ?

Dick

Richard Davis Jr.

Jan 27, 2023, 10:07:22 AM1/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Linker worked. My setup has everything on sy2
You need the -L option for the linker

sy2:ln sy2:exmpl.o -L sy2:libc.lib

Richard Davis Jr.

Jan 27, 2023, 10:16:20 AM1/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Glenn,

When I click on the link, I get a blank board. Is there something I need to do to use it?

Rick

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2023, 10:57:55 AM1/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

“Where is  the Software Toolworks C/80 posted?”

A little disorganized…

There’s some here:

https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/software.html

And on the Wiki (I think these are essentially the same as above but just HDOS?):

https://github.com/sebhc/sebhc/wiki

And Mark has some Software Toolworks stuff too:

https://heathkit.garlanger.com/software/library/TheSoftwareToolworks/

for HDOS your best bet is to use C-80 rev 3.1 and if you need floats and longs use the 3.0 Mathpak (I believe there was a 3.1 mathpak but haven’t spotted it in the wild!)

for CP/M I have full C-80 3.1 and Mathpak 3.0 but its on soft sectored floppy and I don’t think I’ve got a copy on any of my active hard drives (nor do I have a 5.25” soft sectored drive connected at the moment).  At some point I’ll push that to the site…

  • Glenn

Jan 27, 2023, 11:14:57 AM1/27/23
to SEBHC
Thanks, Glenn !

Dick McCoy

Jan 27, 2023, 11:31:59 AM1/27/23
to SEBHC
Just trying to keep us out of trouble :

Have we obtained permission to post this software??

Legacy[edit]

Aztec C remains copyrighted and has not been placed into the public domain. Harry Suckow, who started Manx Software Systems with partners Thomas Fenwick and James Goodnow II, is the copyright holder.

At least two free Internet distributions exist for native Aztec C Compilers for the Apple II; one for Apple II DOS 3.3 and the other for Apple II ProDOS 8.[5] A third free Internet distribution exists for Aztec C for the Commodore Amiga.[5] A fourth free Internet distribution exists for their MS-DOS 8086 native compiler,[5] and a fifth exists for a limited version of their MS-DOS cross-compiler for Apple II ProDOS 8.

Dick

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 10:14:57 AM UTC-6 Dick McCoy wrote:
Thanks, Glenn !