Triple 17

Glenn Roberts

Apr 26, 2024, 9:02:39 PMApr 26
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Pretty realistic buy it now price for a triple drive h17 unit. eBay 156184048690

It’ll go quick…

Sent from my iPad

smb...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2024, 9:39:39 PMApr 26
to SEBHC
My offer was rejected with a "sorry, just listed today". I'm tempted to write back, "no worries, my offer was only good today". :)

It does look like a nice unit, but at $275 plus another $75 in shipping, it's hard to say that I need it.

Scott

Steven Feinsmith

Apr 27, 2024, 10:27:54 AMApr 27
to se...@googlegroups.com
It is worth noting that the need for floppy disks has become obsolete due to the non-existence of hard-sector floppy disks today. Moreover, acquiring blank diskettes has become exceedingly complex, rendering floppy disks impractical.

Steven

Steven Feinsmith

Apr 27, 2024, 10:29:07 AMApr 27
to se...@googlegroups.com
It is worth noting that the need for floppy disks has become obsolete due to the non-existence of hard-sector floppy disks at present. Moreover, acquiring blank diskettes has become exceedingly complex, rendering floppy disks impractical.

Steven

Dave McGuire

Apr 27, 2024, 10:30:38 AMApr 27
to se...@googlegroups.com

That's a big, sweeping assertion. It's trivial to turn
readily-available soft-sectored disks into hard-sectored disks with a
punch. And if authenticity is the goal, as it frequently is, the need
for floppy disks is clear.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Steven Feinsmith

Apr 27, 2024, 11:27:12 AMApr 27
to se...@googlegroups.com
I tried a different method that proved less effective than the original floppy hard sector. It was a waste of my time. I had 20 boxes of hard sector diskettes manufactured by Nashua, but the surface had degraded due to their age. As they were covered under a lifetime warranty, I wrote a letter to Nashua. However, they responded that the product was no longer available as they had destroyed the manufacturing machines. They apologized for the situation. There was nothing that they could do to help me to resolve this issue.

Users stopped using floppy drives long ago as they sought better storage media. However, if we had forced the manufacturers of floppy diskettes to continue producing them, we would have plenty of them in stock. It's worth noting that the United States government still uses floppy diskettes for its equipment that controls nuclear warfare. I know that Sony was the last company to stop selling floppy diskettes.

That would be fine Unless users want a floppy diskette system for museum purposes.

Steven

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/653f250c-7efe-4421-9a9b-31e5ccb17dc7%40neurotica.com.

Dave McGuire

Apr 27, 2024, 12:47:56 PMApr 27
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 4/27/24 11:26, Steven Feinsmith wrote:
> I tried a different method that proved less effective than the original
> floppy hard sector. It was a waste of my time. I had 20 boxes of hard
> sector diskettes manufactured by Nashua, but the surface had degraded
> due to their age. As they were covered under a lifetime warranty, I
> wrote a letter to Nashua. However, they responded that the product was
> no longer available as they had destroyed the manufacturing machines.
> They apologized for the situation. There was nothing that they could do
> to help me to resolve this issue.

:-(

Some "lifetime warranty". They should've been sued.

> Users stopped using floppy drives long ago as they sought better storage
> media. However, if we had forced the manufacturers of floppy diskettes
> to continue producing them, we would have plenty of them in stock. It's
> worth noting that the United States government still uses floppy
> diskettes for its equipment that controls nuclear warfare.

...which is exactly what we want, as they're more reliable than
"modern and thus automatically better" things like flash-based thumb
drives and SD cards. If they were a problem, they'd be gone.

I have floppy disks that I wrote in 1985 that are still perfectly
readable today, same contents, not reformatted. I have thumb drives
from last year that are dead.

People rush to replace floppy disk subsystems with emulators and such
all day long, but often for the wrong reasons. Convenience, yes, sure I
get that. That's perfectly valid. But reliability? No. When
correctly repaired and properly maintained, floppy drives are very
reliable in general. A lot of the media, if it has been stored
properly, is very reliable in general.

People argue with me about that all the time, but I point to LSSM,
which is positively awash in perfectly functional floppy disks and
drives. The proof is in the results.

If people want to replace floppy disks for convenience, fine. If
they want to replace them because they can't or won't maintain their
equipment, fine. But it's simply not the case, to anyone but a
salesman, that they are inherently or automatically unreliable just
because the bulk of the consumer world has moved to something else.

> I know that
> Sony was the last company to stop selling floppy diskettes.

Athana International. Still in operation, as far as I know, though
I've not checked.

> That would be fine Unless users want a floppy diskette system for museum
> purposes.

Which some do, myself included, and that's ok.

-Dave

Glenn Roberts

Apr 27, 2024, 12:58:43 PMApr 27
to se...@googlegroups.com
This is a “right brain” purchase. You buy it for the looks, nostalgia, the challenge of restoration, the satisfaction of reliving an era, the joy of displaying it and demonstrating to others. Left brain thinking would say just install a modern solid state drive. I have both “left brain” and “right brain” setups, and enjoy them both…

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 27, 2024, at 12:47 PM, Dave McGuire <mcg...@neurotica.com> wrote:

smb...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2024, 1:11:03 PMApr 27
to SEBHC
Left brain also asks the "where do I put this?" question.

About six months ago I bought another desk for the office, and I truly did have the intention of setting up the H8 for display there. But it now has an Olivetti M20 and an Intel iPDS setup on it. The workbench is covered with parts of a Rockwell AIM-65 that I didn't even know was a thing until I saw it one on eBay a month ago.

I would absolutely love a permanent place to display the H8, that gigantic 8" drive that goes with it, an H77 and H17, and an H9 or H19 (or both!). But I can't stop myself from buying every new old thing that shows up on eBay.

Scott

Alex - K3CIM

Apr 28, 2024, 11:10:47 AMApr 28
to SEBHC
and to put my two cents in...
use the drives on a h37 controller and you wont need hard sector diskettes