FW: Pololu Memorial Day Sale going on now! 23% off all active Pololu-brand products

glenn.f...@gmail.com

May 27, 2023, 7:50:04 PM5/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Fyi good opportunity to stock up on Pololu step up/down regulators or other items from them…

  • Glenn

May 27, 2023, 7:55:15 PM5/27/23
to SEBHC
Yeah, I saw that and was going to stock up on regulators. You can never have too many of these, and it's good to grab a few of the larger current rating just in case.

Anything else worth getting in other peoples' experience? My purchase history includes the odd stepper motor driver, but that's about it.

Scott

Douglas Miller

May 27, 2023, 7:58:23 PM5/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

They also sell SDCard modules, in case anyone is headed towards the new H8xSPI adapter.

Scott Baker

May 27, 2023, 8:12:11 PM5/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Please post a part number of the SDCard module. That's not something I usually have on hand. Ought to be good to grab a couple!

Scott

Douglas Miller

May 27, 2023, 8:32:16 PM5/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Steven Shumaker

May 27, 2023, 11:20:58 PM5/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Several of the BOMs do not show Polulu units as acceptable subs for regulators.  Any reasons for not going with the Polulu units as subs for any of the LM78/79 stuff?

Steve

smb...@gmail.com

May 28, 2023, 11:12:32 AM5/28/23
to SEBHC
The Pololu converters may have an inrush current rating lower than their full rating, and may shutdown if that's exceeded. This might require you to up the value of the converter (say, a 1.5A converter instead of a 1A converter). I believe Norberto generally designs his boards so that the Pololu converters will work, sometimes using multiple regulator footprints as necessary.

This inrush limit can actually be a feature. On one of my projects I observed the converter to be shutdown, thinking I had exceeded the inrush limit, hastily replaced it with a 7805, powered my board back up, and had a backwards-installed component emit the magic smoke. With a short, a 7805 will continue to deliver to its full capability until it hits thermal shutdown, whereas the Pololu converters will often harmlessly and immediately shut down.

Scott

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 28, 2023, 11:22:44 AM5/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I had same situation. That is why is important to have a Power LED on the new boards. If Power LED is “off” then we have a +5v short somewhere when powering the system on.

Norberto

Steven Shumaker

May 28, 2023, 11:41:44 AM5/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thanks!   I have this stack of boards and a cabinet that I'm finally about to start on - and I'm thinking I should standardize with Polulu across the set - especially with such a nice price.

Steve

smb...@gmail.com

May 28, 2023, 11:46:57 AM5/28/23
to SEBHC
Note that there are a couple choices -- the S9V11 regulators and the S13 regulators. I've been perfectly happy with the S13 and they're a little cheaper than the S9V11. YMMV.

Scott

Steven Shumaker

May 28, 2023, 12:41:05 PM5/28/23
to se...@googlegroups.com