Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Scott Ferguson

da leggere,
29 mag 2023, 17:33:2129/05/23
a SEBHC
I haven't turned on my H89 in years -- no longer have the external drives most of my saved media is formatted for. But I felt nostalgic recently and decided to photograph it. Of special interest is the H1000 8086 processor upgrade, and the homemade, wire-wrapped graphics board. Known affectionately as 'Ralph', I credit my H89 for the microprocessor learning experience that eventually landed me a job at the small but growing software company known as Microsoft in 1986.

norberto.collado koyado.com

da leggere,
29 mag 2023, 17:53:0729/05/23
a se...@googlegroups.com

Nice system.. 😊

Thanks for the photos…

Norberto

Glenn Roberts

da leggere,
29 mag 2023, 17:53:2929/05/23
a se...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Scott and glad you saved such a nice system all these years. Given its importance in guiding your career are you considering getting it operational again? Folks here can help!

Sent from my iPad

On May 29, 2023, at 5:33 PM, Scott Ferguson <scott...@gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't turned on my H89 in years -- no longer have the external drives most of my saved media is formatted for. But I felt nostalgic recently and decided to photograph it. Of special interest is the H1000 8086 processor upgrade, and the homemade, wire-wrapped graphics board. Known affectionately as 'Ralph', I credit my H89 for the microprocessor learning experience that eventually landed me a job at the small but growing software company known as Microsoft in 1986.

Mark Garlanger

da leggere,
29 mag 2023, 17:58:5829/05/23
a se...@googlegroups.com
Hey Scott,

   Great photos. BTW, Lee Hart, who made the H-1000 upgrade board is here on the mail list.
The Double-Density controller board is actually the upgrade soft-sectored controller board, commonly referred to as the H/Z-37. The hard-sectored disk controller is usually referred to as the H-17 and is single-density.

Do you know if the disks you have all been imaged/saved?

Mark

On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 4:33 PM Scott Ferguson <scott...@gmail.com> wrote:
I haven't turned on my H89 in years -- no longer have the external drives most of my saved media is formatted for. But I felt nostalgic recently and decided to photograph it. Of special interest is the H1000 8086 processor upgrade, and the homemade, wire-wrapped graphics board. Known affectionately as 'Ralph', I credit my H89 for the microprocessor learning experience that eventually landed me a job at the small but growing software company known as Microsoft in 1986.

Joseph Travis

da leggere,
29 mag 2023, 19:21:2629/05/23
a se...@googlegroups.com
I love it all, especially the HouseMaster board and H-1000!

Joe

Darrell Pelan

da leggere,
29 mag 2023, 21:48:4029/05/23
a SEBHC
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

  Darrell

Scott Ferguson

da leggere,
2 giu 2023, 01:50:0902/06/23
a SEBHC
It has been on my mind to someday recover some of the files on those floppies. Perhaps there are drives and software somewhere out there (e.g. for Windows PC) that could read those double and single density floppies and recover their data? I seem to recall those drives were TEAC brand. Unfortunately, I salvaged the external case for use on a later system and the drives themselves were lost to time.

Glenn Roberts

da leggere,
2 giu 2023, 05:39:5002/06/23
a se...@googlegroups.com
Mark is the expert here on that and I’m sure he can help. I believe he is currently using an Applesauce setup for recovery. It would be great to recover any old software or Heath Users Group items you may have on those disks…

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 2, 2023, at 1:50 AM, Scott Ferguson <scott...@gmail.com> wrote:

It has been on my mind to someday recover some of the files on those floppies. Perhaps there are drives and software somewhere out there (e.g. for Windows PC) that could read those double and single density floppies and recover their data? I seem to recall those drives were TEAC brand. Unfortunately, I salvaged the external case for use on a later system and the drives themselves were lost to time.

Mark Garlanger

da leggere,
2 giu 2023, 16:19:3702/06/23
a se...@googlegroups.com
Scott,
   I have both the Applesauce device - https://applesaucefdc.com/ and the Device Side's FC5025 - http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html
I developed software for the FC5025 to read Heath's hard-sectored disks - https://github.com/mgarlanger/heath-imager which works on Mac and Linux. The creator of Applesauce has support for Heath's hard-sectored disks, but his software only runs on Mac.  Both of these devices support a wide range of other formats including the soft-sectored formats heath used.
For soft-sectored, there is also Dave Dunfields ImageDisk software that can be used if you have an old PC (running DOS) with a floppy - http://dunfield.classiccmp.org/img/

I can definitely help image any disks you want imaged, and would be especially interested in any distribution disks that have not been imaged before, such as that Housemaster disk you have pictured. After imaging them, I'll send them back to you. If you are anywhere near Austin, TX, we could arrange some time to meet up and to get them imaged.

Mark

Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore
Inoltra