Sad day... :''(

J.B. Langston

Apr 19, 2024, 1:35:55 PMApr 19
to SEBHC

Les Bird

Apr 19, 2024, 6:29:55 PMApr 19
to SEBHC
Yes I saw the end of life posting for the Z80s but I couldn't tell if it was just a certain footprint or all of them.

I usually get my 40 pin DIP Z80s (part Z84C0020PEC) from eBay, 10 for $10 - essentially an endless supply. Most of the time they are good and run at the advertised 20MHz but some just don't work at all. The first batch of 20 I ordered all worked flawlessly at 16MHz with my RomWBW H8 board but the second batch of 20 only half of them worked. Still at a $1/each it's worth the gamble.

Les

Les Bird

Apr 19, 2024, 6:37:41 PMApr 19
to SEBHC
Also, maybe it's time we move to 100MHZ FPGA Z80s...? Maybe I'll start looking into this.

Les

smb...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2024, 6:46:10 PMApr 19
to SEBHC
There's still enough to build my 1000 node Z80 supercomputer.

Scott

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 19, 2024, 6:48:24 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com
I bought some at eBay. I didn’t know that Mouser had them. 👍

Apr 19, 2024, 6:49:39 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I’m not worried about finding any for my own personal use. Mostly I feel bad for Spencer who created the rc2014… this is going to impact his livelihood.

Someone shared this with me… a fitting eulogy.

Dave McGuire

Apr 19, 2024, 6:56:06 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Availability will not be a problem for a decade or more. Even NOS Z80s made in the 1970s are still floating around in decent quantities.

-Dave

On April 19, 2024 6:49:47 PM "J.B. Langston" <jb.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah I’m not worried about finding any for my own personal use. Mostly I
> feel bad for Spencer who created the rc2014… this is going to impact his
> livelihood.
>
> Someone shared this with me… a fitting eulogy.
>

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 5:29 PM Les Bird <lesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes I saw the end of life posting for the Z80s but I couldn't tell if it
>> was just a certain footprint or all of them.
>>
>> I usually get my 40 pin DIP Z80s (part Z84C0020PEC) from eBay, 10 for $10
>> - essentially an endless supply. Most of the time they are good and run at
>> the advertised 20MHz but some just don't work at all. The first batch of 20
>> I ordered all worked flawlessly at 16MHz with my RomWBW H8 board but the
>> second batch of 20 only half of them worked. Still at a $1/each it's worth
>> the gamble.
>>
>> Les
>>

>> On Friday, April 19, 2024 at 11:35:55 AM UTC-6 jb.la...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.mouser.com/PCN/Littelfuse_PCN_Z84C00.pdf
>>>
>>> I've made my last-time buy...
>>>

>>> --
>> sebhc+un...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/66f9adba-974a-4bc0-bcca-acd7d4d2e8d1n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/66f9adba-974a-4bc0-bcca-acd7d4d2e8d1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>
> --

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

J.B. Langston

Apr 19, 2024, 7:31:49 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but as someone who’s first computer was an H89 in about 1986, I can’t tell you how amazing it was to want to learn more about the processor that I started out in computers with, though I never programmed it. When I wanted to revisit it as an adult, to find that there was a kit you could buy in 2018 with completely new chips was mind blowing. I went on to design my own boards for it, and I don’t think I’d be where I am today if it hadn’t been for the fact you could still buy these new from any electronics distributor. It’s going to be sad to lose that. And I still haven’t gotten the H89 I bought working, so my RC2014-derived, mostly self designed and manufactured computer is what delivers my Z80 fix. There, I guess that’s my real eulogy.

Dave McGuire

Apr 19, 2024, 7:48:17 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com

My history is similar, though a bit earlier. I understand what you mean and agree with you, and it certainly is a shame. But people everywhere are screaming that all of the Z80s in the world are going to somehow disappear, and we'll never see any again, which is simply wrong.

-Dave
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/CAMwROAw525AsHwbuRu%2BDL2NStc9BCEVJeEMmJ2B8zz4GRUBY%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com.

J.B. Langston

Apr 19, 2024, 7:55:23 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com
I don’t intend to be screaming that and I know it will be easy to find. It just feels like the end of an era.

Dave McGuire

Apr 19, 2024, 8:01:28 PMApr 19
to se...@googlegroups.com

I'm right there with you on that. It's a shame that the suits who made the decision, who probably don't know or care about the iconic and worshipped status of the Z80, couldn't just let it hit 50 years. It certainly deserved that, at least.

-Dave
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/18ef8c2ba18.27fe.3c50d2b21ba2c2fda0de8a8b6bbe9ce4%40neurotica.com
>> .

Bill Lewis

Apr 19, 2024, 10:07:56 PMApr 19
to SEBHC
And these aren't counterfeit / fakes?

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 20, 2024, 1:58:11 AMApr 20
to se...@googlegroups.com
The same thing happened to the Z180... Now you need to use eBay to find them, especially the 33MHz ones.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/CAMwROAw525AsHwbuRu%2BDL2NStc
>> 9BCEVJeEMmJ2B8zz4GRUBY%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com
>> .
>>

>> --
>> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
>> New Kensington, PA
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/18ef8c2ba18.27fe.3c50d2b21ba2
>> c2fda0de8a8b6bbe9ce4%40neurotica.com
>> .
>
> --

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

J.B. Langston

Apr 20, 2024, 9:49:18 PMApr 20
to se...@googlegroups.com
No, the pdf I shared was posted directly on mouser. The parts are marked EOL on mouser. Its real.

J.B. Langston

Apr 20, 2024, 9:53:32 PMApr 20
to se...@googlegroups.com
Oh you’re asking about the chips from eBay. 😆

Anyway, these arrived today.

Les Bird

Apr 21, 2024, 9:09:05 AMApr 21
to SEBHC
Bill, hard to tell if they are counterfeit or fakes. The markings seem legit and they run everything I throw at them so bottom line is most of them work and do what they're supposed to do.

Les

Bill Lewis

Apr 24, 2024, 2:36:42 PMApr 24
to SEBHC
FWIW, I've noticed some of the Z80 parts have already gone out-of-stock on Mouser and Digi-key since this announcement.
There is a last lifetime buy, so they are accepting backorders.