IDC Ribbon Cable connector

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2023, 8:57:15 PM6/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ok here’s an embarrassing question. Can anyone point out the right way for me to attach a 16 pin DIP IDC header to a ribbon cable (this is for the cable that runs from the H8 Z80 CPU board to the H37 board)? I just wrecked three connectors trying to do this in various ways. I’m using the Hanlong HT-214D crimping tool with the DIP adapter. Pix here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CoMPSMYpwq5jTRQm7

funny thing is I believe I’ve done this before with this tool.  But now the pressure is too much, and it pushes the pins right through the bottom, breaking the plastic housing (see pix).  It feels like I need a way that puts back pressure directly on the pins themselves (without bending them of course) since the tool is trying to press the ribbon into the cinchers at the tops of the pins.  The center ridge in the orange DIP adapter is a little narrow and doesn’t put back pressure right up to the edge of the pins and that contributes to the problem.

Anyway, this used to work but now I’m just wreaking havoc!  Before I had the Hanlong tool I used to do this in my wood vise in the workshop. Maybe I should go back to that approach..?

Thanks for any pointers…

  • Glenn

smb...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2023, 9:00:30 PM6/7/23
to SEBHC
I have a small panapress that I use for tasks like this. 3D Printed a bunch of fixtures to put in it.

In your case, how about plugging the connector into a solderless breadboard while you crimp it. Would that help?

Scott

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2023, 9:09:45 PM6/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Interesting ideas.  I might have my son 3-D print me a better backing block and I also like the idea of the breadboard.  But now I must order more connectors. Better get more than a few… 😊

Thanks scott.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jun 7, 2023, 9:25:02 PM6/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Steven Hirsch

Jun 7, 2023, 9:43:36 PM6/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 6/7/23 20:57, glenn.f...@gmail.com wrote:

> Anyway, this used to work but now I’m just wreaking havoc!  Before I had the
> Hanlong tool I used to do this in my wood vise in the workshop. Maybe I should

That would be my suggestion. I've always used a little hobby vise for
squeezing on IDC connectors.

Glenn Roberts

Jun 7, 2023, 9:45:23 PM6/7/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
All great suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 7, 2023, at 9:43 PM, Steven Hirsch <snhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/7/23 20:57, glenn.f...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Anyway, this used to work but now I’m just wreaking havoc! Before I had the Hanlong tool I used to do this in my wood vise in the workshop. Maybe I should go back to that approach..?
>
> That would be my suggestion. I've always used a little hobby vise for squeezing on IDC connectors.

Geo Monroe

Jun 27, 2023, 11:24:23 AM6/27/23
to SEBHC
Interesting. I don't have a press so I use a vise with boards used to protect the connector when I press the ribbon cable.

George

Glenn Roberts

Jun 27, 2023, 1:40:59 PM6/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Using my old fashioned wood vise, and a sacrificed 16-pin socket (for backing pressure) worked great. Sometimes the old makeshift solutions work the best!

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 27, 2023, at 11:24 AM, Geo Monroe <george...@gmail.com> wrote:

Interesting. I don't have a press so I use a vise with boards used to protect the connector when I press the ribbon cable.

Dave McGuire

Jun 27, 2023, 2:23:45 PM6/27/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

It can certainly get the job done, but as with just about everything,
there's a "right tool for the job". Pic attached.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA