New study group starting – Simulation with graphics.rb

Lito Nicolai

Jan 17, 2016, 7:04:01 PM1/17/16
to Seattle.rb Study Group
For this study group, we'll be working through Jessica Rosenkranz' MIT course on particle simulations:

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/education/simulation/

This course is meant to take 8 weeks – though we may take an extra week or two to struggle through something difficult or explore an interesting problem.

Though you're welcome to use whatever drawing framework you'd like, many of us are taking this as a chance to learn and contribute to Ryan's graphics gem. It's still in beta, so you'll need to `gem install --pre graphics` as well as run this shell script to install dependencies.

This week's assignment: Week 1, introduction and Diffusion Limited Aggregation
I found this took me a little more than an hour to get the basic simulation set up, and another hour fiddling around for fun. Keep in mind that installing `graphics` may take some time! You can find my code here, and Javier's here.

We meet from 6-7pm at Espresso Vivace every Tuesday. This often segues nicely in to the Seattle.rb hack night! On the first Tuesday of each month (Feb. 2nd, next month), we meet at 6pm at Substantial before the Seattle.rb monthy meetup starts.

There will soon be a repository at https://github.com/searbsg for us to show our own work and see others'.

To ask for help and show off the neat simulations you've made, join us at seattlerb.slack.com/, where there's a board called `studygroup` already full of discussion. If you're not already on the board, Slack requires you to ask for an invite, but you'll get one speedily :)

Hope to see you there!
-L

Javier Soto

Jan 19, 2016, 12:26:31 PM1/19/16
to Seattle.rb Study Group
Hi, I have uploaded to the shared repo my code adapted to the Graphics gem master (the previously referenced one is based on an experimental fork I am playing with). To run it you'll need i) to install the kdtree gem and ii) be aware that it references Lito's rainbows for prettyness.

Javier
grape_vine.tiff