new group! working through rosalind (bioinformatics)!!!

Ryan Davis

May 17, 2016, 11:12:55 PM5/17/16
to Seattle.rb Study Group
We were talking at Nerd Party tonight about how we miss having a study group. But we've not been too good at picking books we can actually digest and it's been contributing to our burnout a bit. So we decided to do a hacking group instead of a reading group and to work on Rosalind (http://rosalind.info/) problems instead.

Our first meeting will be next week. If you look at the problems in the tree view:

http://rosalind.info/problems/tree-view/

then we're working on the first 4 levels (where the first 3 levels are single problems each). It is nine problems in total. How much you actually do doesn't really matter as long as you're learning something.

We plan on doing this in ruby so we can look at our solutions and analyze performance characteristics and to admire particularly clever solutions. We'll figure out the repository part later, just hack for now.

If you're interested or curious, respond here or just show up at Vivace next Tuesday at 6pm.