The end of Little Prover and what's next

Lito Nicolai

Oct 14, 2015, 1:36:34 AM10/14/15
to Seattle.rb Study Group

Hey all,

We are going to stop working on Little Prover as a study group. In its place, we’ll be working through Essentials of Programming Languages (http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Programming-Languages-Daniel-Friedman/dp/0262062798)!

It’s by the same author as the Little Schemer series, and covers implementing programming languages in Scheme – going from a very simple implementation of the Lambda Calculus (see http://matt.might.net/articles/implementing-a-programming-language/) all the way through typechecked languages and finishing with object orientation.

Because EOPL is much more dense, I’m imagining that each section (not chapter) will take *at least* a week. We’ll talk about how much we think we can tackle each week at the next meeting, 6pm on Tuesday at Vivace.

For next week, Chapter 1 is OPTIONAL! It covers both an intro to Scheme and some very computer-sciency writing about grammars. If you’d like to re-up your Scheme skills, I recommend starting with Section 1.2 and working through at least part of Section 1.4. If you’d like to learn about Backus-Naur form and Kleene stars, read from the beginning. I *promise* those concepts are also introduced by example where they’re used in the following chapters, so you won’t be missing out if you skip it. (It’s cool stuff, though)

We’ll start with Chapter 2 and our first programming language week after next.

Anyone is welcome to borrow my book this week! Just hit me up.

See you next week!

Lito

Message has been deleted

Scott Windsor

Oct 14, 2015, 10:07:01 AM10/14/15
to seattle...@googlegroups.com
You can get a copy of Essentials of Programming Languages via the amazon link, mit press, or other online book stores.

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/essentials-programming-languages

Let's make sure to not link or promote pirated copies of books. We'd like to ensure that our authors are able to continue write more of these books by being compensated for all their hard work.

- scott

On Oct 13, 2015, at 10:53 PM, Deirdre Allison <deir...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Lito,
Hope everything is going well with you!

Is this the right book or is it just part of it?

Thanks!
Deirdre