Palantir Puzzlehunt 2015 at the University of Washington this Saturday 10/24!

Rita Debesai

Oct 21, 2015, 8:26:52 PM10/21/15
to seattlep...@googlegroups.com, Puzzlehunt 2015 UW

Greetings!

Palantir Technologies is hosting its debut Puzzlehunt event on the University of Washington’s campus this Saturday, 10/24!

Start location: University of Washington’s Paul G. Allen Center for Computer Science & Engineering Atrium (185 W. Stevens Way NE Seattle, WA 98195)

Check-in: 11:30am | Start time: 12:00pm

You don’t need to be a UW student to participate, all are welcome. Come solve fun puzzles with your friends on teams of 4-6, compete against other teams for prizes, enjoy free lunch and dinner, get a t-shirt and most importantly, help ensure the galaxy is safe from the dastardly doings of Dr. Evil.

No worries if you've never done a puzzle hunt before; no prior experience or CS mastery is required, all are welcome. Space is limited, so make sure to sign up on our EventBrite page: http://UWPUZZLEHUNT.EVENTBRITE.COM/

Questions? Email: Puzzlehun...@palantir.com

FAQ:

What’s a puzzlehunt?

The event consists of solving puzzles at different locations around campus. Using the solution of a puzzle, your team will discover the location of the next puzzle. Each puzzle takes 20-60 minutes to solve. How quickly you solve each puzzle determines your team’s score.

What if I don’t have 4-6 people, can I still participate in puzzlehunt?

Sure, just shoot us an email at Puzzlehun...@palantir.com and we’ll place you on a team!

Why are you doing this?

For fun! Puzzles are awesome. Running around campus with your friends is awesome. What more do you need?

How are teams scored?

Your team will receive a score for each puzzle you complete. It is based on the time it took to complete and the expected time to complete the puzzle (i.e. the "Par time").

  • If your team took any hints on the puzzle, your score = 80% * Par Time.
  • If your team finished after the par time, your score = Par Time.
  • If your team finished before the par time, your score = Par Time + (Par Time – Completion Time).

What do I need to bring?

  • You and your team
  • Comfortable walking shoes and clothing appropriate for the weather
  • Something to write with and something to write on
  • A flashlight! And scissors! (although one of each will be provided per team)

What’s an example of a past puzzlehunt?

See attached for a sample puzzle!

Hope to see you there!

2011-PuzzleCards-AnimalEmpathy.pdf