Virtual Meeting

Aaron Vargo

Aug 18, 2020, 3:55:50 PM8/18/20
to SeaHUG
Bartosz and I want to have a virtual meeting. Is anyone else interested? As a starting point, I'll propose we have one this Saturday from 1-4pm (the usual SeaHUG time), though other days/times would be fine with me as well.

Brian

Aug 18, 2020, 4:02:12 PM8/18/20
to Aaron Vargo, SeaHUG
Hey Aaron,

Absolutely! This Saturday sounds good to me. Last time in the Beerly
Functional group we used Jitsi Meet (https://meet.jit.si/) and it
worked relatively well, so I guess we could use it here too.

Best,
Brian

Bartosz Milewski

Aug 18, 2020, 4:03:34 PM8/18/20
to Aaron Vargo, SeaHUG
What Aaron didn't mention is that Conal Elliot is interested in participating. I haven't talked to him about the date though. BTW, his daughter has a tea shop in Seattle.
--Bartosz

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 12:55 PM Aaron Vargo <aaron...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bartosz and I want to have a virtual meeting. Is anyone else interested? As a starting point, I'll propose we have one this Saturday from 1-4pm (the usual SeaHUG time), though other days/times would be fine with me as well.

Aaron Vargo

Aug 18, 2020, 4:33:06 PM8/18/20
to SeaHUG
Oops, indeed I meant to mention that! Can we invite him to the google group?
I was able to use Jitsi from my browser with no issues, so sounds good to me.

Brian

Aug 18, 2020, 4:46:42 PM8/18/20
to seattle...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, I thought this group was open but it seems Google is
making some changes to Google Groups. My guess is that now you are
required to have a Google account as I am unable to access the old URL
without log in to my Gmail account :/

In any case this is the URL he should try to access:

https://groups.google.com/g/seattlehaskell

It would be so cool to have Conal Elliot in the next meeting.

cheers
> > > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlehaskell/c9f19bb9-0831-444e-85db-9aae563ab394o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> > > >
> > > .

Michael Kerekes

Aug 19, 2020, 12:04:29 PM8/19/20
to Aaron Vargo, SeaHUG
See you guys there

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 12:55 PM Aaron Vargo <aaron...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bartosz and I want to have a virtual meeting. Is anyone else interested? As a starting point, I'll propose we have one this Saturday from 1-4pm (the usual SeaHUG time), though other days/times would be fine with me as well.

Bartosz Milewski

Aug 19, 2020, 12:09:19 PM8/19/20
to Michael Kerekes, Aaron Vargo, SeaHUG

Dave Compton

Aug 19, 2020, 12:57:20 PM8/19/20
to SeaHUG
I should be able to "be there".   Thank you for putting this together.

Bartosz Milewski

Aug 19, 2020, 3:13:33 PM8/19/20
to Dave Compton, SeaHUG
I have confirmation from Conal. We'll have a discussion about automatic differentiation and categories.

How can we reach more people in Seattle? I'm also thinking of inviting outside people. I'm a bit hesitant about posting it on Twitter, because we might be overwhelmed.

--Bartosz

Brian

Aug 19, 2020, 4:33:30 PM8/19/20
to seattle...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure the people at UW PLSE would be quite interested:

https://uwplse.org/

(I don't know anyone from this group though...)

> > > --
> > send an
> > email to seattlehaskel...@googlegroups.com.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlehaskell/8b6ebdc3-0764-46e2-a358-b9f5e9375801n%40googlegroups.com
> > <
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlehaskell/8b6ebdc3-0764-46e2-a358-b9f5e9375801n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> > >
> > .

Jack Yinger

Aug 19, 2020, 4:52:14 PM8/19/20
to Brian, seattle...@googlegroups.com
I’m planning to join too.

Glad to see activity in this group!

Cheers - Jack

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 1:33 PM, Brian <gomes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm pretty sure the people at UW PLSE would be quite interested:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlehaskell/b16eac926d91f9e92729c64d2d83332106f205f9.camel%40gmail.com.

Alex Carter

Aug 19, 2020, 6:00:52 PM8/19/20
to seattle...@googlegroups.com
Would be nice to see the Seahug gang. By video's not quite the same, but it would be a pleasure to hear what Conal's been thinking about!

Aaron West

Aug 20, 2020, 7:38:39 PM8/20/20
to SeaHUG
Maybe check out this JuliaCon 2020 video, sometime....but I'll admit, I haven't absorbed much of it, despite watching it once. (Maybe it'll make some sense if I attempt to use the library.)

JuliaCon 2020 _ AlgebraicJulia - Applied Category Theory in Julia _ James Fairbanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zr2qnud4XM

https://github.com/AlgebraicJulia/Catlab.jl

(Lately, I seem to prefer either Python or Julia for quick-n-dirty data-processing scripts, where a Haskell program would be harder to set up, deploy and maintain. Although I've been meaning to do some web development with Obsidian.systems' Obelisk/Reflex-FRP... hopefully soon.)

Bartosz Milewski

Aug 22, 2020, 12:05:57 AM8/22/20
to SeaHUG
Aaron, since you are the organizer, could you send us a link to join the meeting? Are we going to use zoom?
--Bartosz

Aaron Vargo

Aug 22, 2020, 12:31:50 AM8/22/20
to SeaHUG
Let's use Jitsi as Brian suggested. Here's the link:

Brian

Aug 22, 2020, 12:38:52 AM8/22/20
to seattle...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, see you tomorrow at 1 PM

Walker Malling

Aug 22, 2020, 5:43:51 PM8/22/20
to Brian, seattle...@googlegroups.com
I’m really sorry to miss the conversation today. If you all are willing to record it — even just the audio — that would be awesome!

Bryan Grounds

Sep 2, 2020, 12:45:06 PM9/2/20
to Walker Malling, seattle...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we recorded the meetup, but Conal gave a similar talk here:

Conal Elliott

Sep 2, 2020, 2:26:07 PM9/2/20
to Bryan Grounds, Walker Malling, seattle...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to answer questions via email and/or at the next meeting.