Topics for November 23rd, 2019

56 views
Skip to first unread message

Bryan Grounds

unread,
Oct 19, 2019, 10:04:03 PM10/19/19
to SeaHUG
If you'd like to present at our next meeting, feel free to post your topic here.

Bartosz Milewski

unread,
Oct 20, 2019, 1:05:36 AM10/20/19
to Bryan Grounds, SeaHUG
So are we going to continue the meetings? Sorry I couldn't come today.


On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 7:04 PM Bryan Grounds <bagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you'd like to present at our next meeting, feel free to post your topic here.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SeaHUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seattlehaskel...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlehaskell/f08503e0-6874-4a55-9b81-b88e5d4c6669%40googlegroups.com.

Bryan Grounds

unread,
Oct 20, 2019, 2:24:04 PM10/20/19
to SeaHUG
Yes!

We'll continue to have meetings.

We don't have an official leader, but as long as there is continued interest, and we can continue to find venues, we'll keep meeting.

Brian Bascoy put in a reservation for a meeting room at the Montlake library for November 23rd.

Technically the reservation was still pending yesterday, but Brian will confirm when it settles.

Time and location are on the website: https://seattlehaskell.org/

Also, if we're ever unable to secure a venue, Eric Merritt (organizer for the Beerly Functional meetup - https://www.meetup.com/Beerly-Functional/) has graciously extended an open invitation for SeaHUG to meet at the same time and place as Beerly Functional, and the two meetups can run concurrently.


On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 10:05:36 PM UTC-7, bartosz wrote:
So are we going to continue the meetings? Sorry I couldn't come today.


On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 7:04 PM Bryan Grounds <bagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you'd like to present at our next meeting, feel free to post your topic here.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SeaHUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seattlehaskell+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Brian Gomes Bascoy

unread,
Oct 20, 2019, 4:35:16 PM10/20/19
to SeaHUG
I just received the confirmation from the Montlake public library, so it's now official: our next meetup is Saturday 23rd of November, between 1 PM and 4 PM, as usual :)

In the e-mail they included the following condition/guideline: "Meeting rooms are reserved for non-commercial use only; users may not advertise or sell products, memberships or services, and no fees, donations or money may be requested or collected. No contact information may be solicited from attendees for the purpose of advertising or selling. All meetings must be open to the public."

cheers!


On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 6:24:04 PM UTC, bagrounds wrote:
Yes!

We'll continue to have meetings.

We don't have an official leader, but as long as there is continued interest, and we can continue to find venues, we'll keep meeting.

Brian Bascoy put in a reservation for a meeting room at the Montlake library for November 23rd.

Technically the reservation was still pending yesterday, but Brian will confirm when it settles.

Time and location are on the website: https://seattlehaskell.org/

Also, if we're ever unable to secure a venue, Eric Merritt (organizer for the Beerly Functional meetup - https://www.meetup.com/Beerly-Functional/) has graciously extended an open invitation for SeaHUG to meet at the same time and place as Beerly Functional, and the two meetups can run concurrently.

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 10:05:36 PM UTC-7, bartosz wrote:
So are we going to continue the meetings? Sorry I couldn't come today.


On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 7:04 PM Bryan Grounds <bagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you'd like to present at our next meeting, feel free to post your topic here.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SeaHUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seattle...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Kerekes

unread,
Oct 20, 2019, 10:25:13 PM10/20/19
to Bryan Grounds, SeaHUG
Can someone be responsible sending out a reminder a few days before the next meeting?

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 7:04 PM Bryan Grounds <bagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you'd like to present at our next meeting, feel free to post your topic here.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SeaHUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seattlehaskel...@googlegroups.com.

Brian Gomes Bascoy

unread,
Oct 21, 2019, 12:41:32 AM10/21/19
to SeaHUG
Since we are not using Meetup.com anymore I've created an event on Eventbrite for the next meeting:


I think if you register to the event they will send you an e-mail alert the day before, but if you don't want to register they also provide an iCalendar file you can import with any calendar application: click on "Add to Calendar" and then "Apple Calendar" (disregard the name, it's a standard ics file).


On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 2:25:13 AM UTC, michael.kerekes wrote:
Can someone be responsible sending out a reminder a few days before the next meeting?

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 7:04 PM Bryan Grounds <bagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you'd like to present at our next meeting, feel free to post your topic here.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SeaHUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seattle...@googlegroups.com.

Bryan Grounds

unread,
Oct 22, 2019, 1:18:56 PM10/22/19
to SeaHUG
Great idea! Thanks for setting this up, Brian.

I registered with the Eventbrite link.

Brian Gomes Bascoy

unread,
Nov 6, 2019, 9:29:35 PM11/6/19
to SeaHUG
So, does anyone has any idea for a topic? :)

Here is something I found interesting: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1611.09471.pdf (Learn Quantum Mechanics with Haskell)
It uses the learn-physics library to model a quantum physics lab. If anyone here has domain knowledge in QM I would love if we could play a little bit with this "laboratory language" thing.

By the way, since we are not listed on Meetup.com anymore, do you think we should announce the meetings somewhere else? (e.g. uni's bulletin boards, local mailing lists, etc)

Cheers

Dave Compton

unread,
Nov 7, 2019, 2:15:29 PM11/7/19
to SeaHUG
In response to Brian Bascoy's comment about announcing the meetings somewhere, there's a meetup.com clone called gettogether that, I believe, is free to use.  I don't have much experience with it but another group that I sometimes participate in recently left meetup and joined gettogether.

Brian

unread,
Nov 8, 2019, 10:38:37 AM11/8/19
to Dave Compton, SeaHUG
Cool, that looks pretty much like Meetup, I will try to write something
up tomorrow and post it there. Thanks Dave!


On Thu, 2019-11-07 at 11:15 -0800, Dave Compton wrote:
> In response to Brian Bascoy's comment about announcing the meetings
> somewhere, there's a meetup.com clone called gettogether
> <https://gettogether.community/> that, I believe, is free to use. I

Brian Gomes Bascoy

unread,
Nov 22, 2019, 7:45:29 PM11/22/19
to SeaHUG
Hey, I just wanted to remind everyone that tomorrow (11/23) will be our next meeting, between 1 PM and 4 PM @ the Montlake Public Library.

Hope to see you there!

Michael Kerekes

unread,
Nov 23, 2019, 11:57:20 AM11/23/19
to Brian Gomes Bascoy, SeaHUG
I have written a lot of library code over the past few months, and learned a lot of little Haskell tricks along the way.  I can do a show and tell on some of it.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SeaHUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seattlehaskel...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlehaskell/7552d6b6-6d67-4c3f-9b51-f1a38b2cad0d%40googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages