SGC Tuesday Night Discussion -- 06 JUN

Bill Chiles

Jun 4, 2023, 11:58:24 AM6/4/23
to seat...@googlegroups.com
Hello, all.  Please make an effort to join us Tuesday for a short discussion at Seattle Go Center at 7pm if you have any interest in hosting the AGA Go Congress in Seattle or Portland area in 2024.  We want to partner with the Portland Go Club, but we need volunteers to help organize the event.  It is very exciting when the congress is nearby for partially or fully attending, easy to get there, saves money 🙂.  But the AGA really needs help finding a location for 2024 very soon and getting the organizing going due to the usual pipeline of planning being disrupted by covid.

The volunteer work can be done remotely if we choose a Portland site.  Most of the work is long-lead phone calling and organizing event space, pricing, activities, accommodations, registration (now largely handled by new AGA professional software being used this year), etc.  The really hard work of site setup and teardown gets hordes of volunteers from all over the country.

Please consider helping us host the 2024 AGA Go Congress in the PNW!!

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Chiles

Jun 5, 2023, 11:14:07 PM6/5/23
to seat...@googlegroups.com
Andrew Gross wanted to encourage folks to help host a PNW Go Congress next year and asked me to post this ... hope to see some interested folks tomorrow, Tue, at 7pm ...

For whatever it's worth, helping to organize, and then participating in, the 2013 U.S. Go Congress in Tacoma, WA (which was jointly organized by the Seattle Go Center and the Tacoma Go Club) was one of the most fun and fulfilling activities of my life, and certainly the highlight of my love affair with the game of Go.  All that's necessary to help is a willingness to put in some hours, and all that's necessary to make an impact is a willingness to show initiative and a bit of tenacity.  Particularly if you've been missing a sense of community due to Covid, this is a chance to come together with other people who are all working towards a common goal, meet new friends, spend some quality time with old ones, and experience the deep satisfaction that comes from delivering a treasured experience to hundreds of (mostly!) grateful people.  I can't recommend the experience highly enough.  -- Andrew Gross

Cheers,
Bill