SGC Needs to do Fundraising -- Please Help

billchile...@hotmail.com

Oct 3, 2022, 2:17:57 PM10/3/22
to seat...@googlegroups.com

Hey, all, we have not raised funds for a year now.  That's partially due to all the changes in management, but also, we were very lucky to get two big donations that literally kept the lights on for us in the DEC-MAR timeframe.  We need to raise money to maintain our public charity status because without clear member support, we can lose this prized status that allows for tax breaks on donations, corporate matching, and DAF donations.

This fall we are focusing the fundraising on a membership drive and upgrading our ancient, very slow computer system.  Memberships help us in a couple of ways, so please consider buying a voting membership or renewing (annual, $250, or lifetime, $3000).  Lifetime memberships are tax deductible and corporations can match up to $2750.  We have not raised membership prices in 15-20 years, and we expect to raise prices soon.  Our computer system is very old and slow (no idea how past operation managers didn't throw things at board members for this reason alone 🙂).  We also increasingly need two computers (PCs) instead of one and will continue to nurse the old computer into service.  We would like to raise $2000 for a new desktop PC, monitors, and peripherals.  We also want to experiment with some new software and a more recent Quickbooks.  We are open to donations of beefy desktops also.

Please consider renewing or buying a voting membership, and please try to help us out with donations to help us maintain our public charity status and buy some much needed upgrades to our systems.

You can donate in person when you come to SGC to enjoy some Go playing or here (found at seattlego.org, see the left nav bar for "Donate", and there is a button at the bottom of the page to use Paypal).

Thanks,
bill