Group Still Alive?

JB

Apr 29, 2008, 5:57:31 PM4/29/08
Haven't got a message since the large-scale spam attack a month ago.
Does anyone see this message? JohnB

MacGeek

Apr 29, 2008, 8:42:02 PM4/29/08
In article <gP-dnZ949Yw8BIrVnZ2dnUVZ_saknZ2d@isomediainc>,
JB <jc...@blarg.net> wrote:

> Haven't got a message since the large-scale spam attack a month ago.
> Does anyone see this message? JohnB

I always keep an eye out for any crys for help.

--
www.iphonewalls.com

Wolf Kirchmeir

May 1, 2008, 9:15:54 AM5/1/08
JB wrote:
> Haven't got a message since the large-scale spam attack a month ago.
> Does anyone see this message? JohnB

Yes, but you're telling me anything I might want to know.

Such as how to get Tiger or Leopard to run on any Intel machine. I'm
more than willing to pay for OS-X, but not for the over-priced
substandard hardware that Apple offers. I have a self-built screamin'
machine based on a 2.4GHz dual core chip, and I want to run my Mac apps
on it!

Help anyone?

TIA.

--
wolf k.

Jim Glidewell

Jun 2, 2008, 4:43:27 PM6/2/08
Wolf Kirchmeir <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> JB wrote:
>> Haven't got a message since the large-scale spam attack a month ago.
>> Does anyone see this message? JohnB
>>

> Yes, but you're telling me anything I might want to know.

Boo-hoo.

> Such as how to get Tiger or Leopard to run on any Intel machine. I'm
> more than willing to pay for OS-X, but not for the over-priced
> substandard hardware that Apple offers. I have a self-built screamin'
> machine based on a 2.4GHz dual core chip, and I want to run my Mac apps
> on it!

Why on earth should anyone bother?

I've never seriously looked into building a Hackintosh, because I _like_
Apple's "over-priced substandard hardware" and find it offers reasonable
value for the money. I suspect that *vast* majority of readers of this
group use Apple hardware.

Did it ever occur to you that it could easily be the case that not a
*single* reader of seattle.users.macintosh has ever installed OS X on
third party hardware?

Anybody who wants to run OS X on non-Apple hardware is going to have to
dig into the technical details, but it seems that you are unwilling and
or unable to even do a couple trivial Google searches to find the answers
you need.

I could easily do the Google searches for you, but I won't because:

1) You will then expect me (or others here) to be your personal
Hackintosh/Macenstein support group.

2) What you propose doing is a violation of the OS X EULA. (not a big
deal for me...)

and

3) Because you come across as a whiney spoiled brat.

HAND.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Jun 2, 2008, 7:23:35 PM6/2/08
Jim Glidewell wrote:
> Wolf Kirchmeir <wol...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> JB wrote:
>>> Haven't got a message since the large-scale spam attack a month ago.
>>> Does anyone see this message? JohnB
>>>
>> Yes, but you're telling me anything I might want to know.
>
> Boo-hoo.
>
>> Such as how to get Tiger or Leopard to run on any Intel machine. I'm
>> more than willing to pay for OS-X, but not for the over-priced
>> substandard hardware that Apple offers. I have a self-built screamin'
>> machine based on a 2.4GHz dual core chip, and I want to run my Mac apps
>> on it!
>
> Why on earth should anyone bother?
>
> I've never seriously looked into building a Hackintosh, because I _like_
> Apple's "over-priced substandard hardware" and find it offers reasonable
> value for the money.

That's just because you haven't compared prices. My machine cost me
$1200 ($1400 if you include the monitor, but I already had that.)
Including shipping. Plus about two hours work. No exact equivalent iMac
exists, but the cheapest one costs $1300, uses the same 2.4GHz chip, but
has half the RAM, a less capable video card, and less HD capacity than
my machine. Apple doesn't specify FSB speed, which on my motherboard is
1GHz, which means I use very, very fast RAM. Optical drives are the
same, except that I have two (one external.)

> I suspect that *vast* majority of readers of this
> group use Apple hardware.

Well, I do too. I have G4 17" Powerbook. It cost $3000 in 2005
(including shipping). Way too much. I bought it because I wanted to have
an alternative to Windows.

And yes, there is a culture difference between Mac and PC users. ;-)

> Did it ever occur to you that it could easily be the case that not a
> *single* reader of seattle.users.macintosh has ever installed OS X on
> third party hardware?

Yes.

> Anybody who wants to run OS X on non-Apple hardware is going to have to
> dig into the technical details, but it seems that you are unwilling and
> or unable to even do a couple trivial Google searches to find the answers
> you need.

Oh, I've got lots of answers. The problem is sifting out the crap, and
for that a UG is IME the best venue. And as a matter of fact, I did get
a couple of answers, far more courteous than yours, which have helped me
do just that.

From a marketing POV, it would be to Apple's advantage to make as many
MAC OS-X drivers for 3rd party software available as possible. There are
lots of people (like me) who like MAC OS-X, but want to run it on much
more powerful hardware than Apple provides. As I have said, I'm more
than willing to pay for another copy of OS-X.

> I could easily do the Google searches for you, but I won't because:

Oh, please don't bother. I've done them already.

> 1) You will then expect me (or others here) to be your personal
> Hackintosh/Macenstein support group.

I certainly wouldn't expect _you_ to help.

> 2) What you propose doing is a violation of the OS X EULA. (not a big
> deal for me...)

Yup, Apple is paranoid about people doing their own thing on their own
hardware, paid for with their own cash. Unlike MS, who want everybody to
use Windows, on any conglomeration of hardware their fevered brains can
dream up.

> and
>
> 3) Because you come across as a whiney spoiled brat.

Huh?????? Just what phrases did you read that way? And where did the
whine come from? You clearly imagined it with whatever passes for your
mind, because it wasn't in my posts.

For the record, you come across as an arrogant, dyspeptic twit. Go take
a stiff dose of your favorite mood altering chemical, and cool down.

--
wolf k.