I lost my Mac guru....very basic question

kalanamak

Feb 9, 2010, 7:15:08 PM2/9/10
It's a bummer, but my brother died, and he was my go-to guy on
everything Mac.

Here is my basic question:
I bought a iMac in 2007. Nothing fancy except wireless keyboard and
mouse. I am moving and qwest offers only a wireless modem (I've been
using a Cisco 675, which is 10 years old and which they will no longer
support because when I move, I will lose my "grandfather" clause). I'd
like to just get the darn wireless modem to decrease hassle in a
hassle-filled move. Will my 2007 iMac work with a wireless modem?

See, I said it was basic.
Thanks!

Wolf K

Feb 9, 2010, 7:38:34 PM2/9/10

Should not be a problem, but to make sure just ask qwest if their
wireless router is Mac compatible. It should be. If not, consider
switching service providers. Service providers should accommodate you,
not the other way round.

However:

For better security, do not connect to the internet with just a modem,
wireless or not. You should use a wireless router (base station)
connected to a wired modem.) The sequence is computer -=-> router -->
modem, where --> can be wire or wireless. The router offers another
layer of security via its built-in firewall. It also creates a wireless
network as a bonus side effect, which is very handy, since it means that
several machines can use the modem at once, and a variety of wireless
networked devices can be controlled or accessed from your Mac.

Apple's Airport is a good base station, but limited, since it doesn't
have enough ports. Installation is a breeze, just follow the instructions.

But you aren't limited to Airport, you can use any wireless base
station. Many non-Apple base stations are better (and better value) than
Airport, actually. I just replaced my old, slow Airport with a D-link
DIR-628. Very nice, and cheaper than the new (faster) Airport.

And whatever you do, make sure you implement wireless security. The
installation/setup software will generate a security key for you when
you set up the router. Copy this key to a plain text file, and copy the
file onto a USB stick (which you keep in a safe place.) The USB stick
can be used by any guest who would like to use their own laptop with
your wireless network while visiting.

BTW, don't believe the story that Macs are immune to viruses. They
aren't. There just aren't as many viruses attacking Macs as Windows, is all.

cheers,
wolf k.

kalanamak

Feb 9, 2010, 8:47:15 PM2/9/10
My old Cisco is currently routed to the Apple Airport, which is used for
the laptop, but wired to my iMac. I couldn't remember if my brother did
that because it was near the iMac or because I needed to be wired.

> But you aren't limited to Airport, you can use any wireless base
> station. Many non-Apple base stations are better (and better value) than
> Airport, actually. I just replaced my old, slow Airport with a D-link
> DIR-628. Very nice, and cheaper than the new (faster) Airport.
>
> And whatever you do, make sure you implement wireless security. The
> installation/setup software will generate a security key for you when
> you set up the router. Copy this key to a plain text file, and copy the
> file onto a USB stick (which you keep in a safe place.) The USB stick
> can be used by any guest who would like to use their own laptop with
> your wireless network while visiting.

The Qwest wireless modem says "continuous security" under its features.
I was a bit wary because they didn't give much info about this modem,
and didn't mention Mac. I think I'll have to call them. Since I have the
Apple Airport, perhaps I should get my own modem that is compatible with
their system, and just use the Airport??

> BTW, don't believe the story that Macs are immune to viruses. They
> aren't. There just aren't as many viruses attacking Macs as Windows, is
> all.

I thank you very much.

Wolf K

Feb 10, 2010, 10:46:04 AM2/10/10
kalanamak wrote:

[...].

> The Qwest wireless modem says "continuous security" under its features.

> I was a bit wary because they didn't give much info about this modem,
> and didn't mention Mac. I think I'll have to call them. Since I have the
> Apple Airport, perhaps I should get my own modem that is compatible with
> their system, and just use the Airport??

OK, in order to understand your question better, I checked Qwest's
website. They offer wired modems. I suggest you get one of those. See:

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/

OI also checked the Basic Setup instructions for a couple of modems, and
noticed that there is reference to Mac OS-X, so the modems are
compatible. You'll also notice that for setup, you have to connect the
modem directly to a computer first using the included Ethernet cable.
You can use this Ethernet cable after setup to connect Airport to the modem.

I suggest you read the Basic Setup guide for one of the modems (it's
pretty much the same for all modems, actually.) Then decide which modem
to buy. Unless you expect to stream high definition video over the net,
you just need a basic modem.

After modem setup, connect as follows:

Mac --> Airport --> modem --> internet.

Airport will find the modem and configure itself.

But do set up secure access to Airport. It's quite simple, you just
click on the appropriate buttons. Pick the highest level of security.
Airport will generate a security key. (Copy and paste the key into a
blank plain text file via Texteditor, and save it, etc.) But if you have
doubts, read the help (or manual) first.

BTW, AFAIK, the only advantage of a wireless modem is that you don't
need a separate wireless router (base station). But you already have one
of those, Airport, so you don't need a wireless modem.

[...]

> I thank you very much.

You're welcome
wolf k.