iPhoto and Thunderbird

Todd

Jul 21, 2008, 10:53:02 PM7/21/08
I have been wanting to send photos via email using Thunderbird; however,
this is not a choice for me. Using preferences in iPhoto, Thunderbird is
not listed. It defaults to Entourage, which I haven't used in quite
some time and really don't care for.

I am using iPhoto 4.0.3, and the latest release of Thunderbird. OS X
10.4.11. Would upgrading iPhoto solve this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Jul 21, 2008, 11:37:07 PM7/21/08
Todd wrote:
> I have been wanting to send photos via email using Thunderbird; however,
> this is not a choice for me. Using preferences in iPhoto, Thunderbird is
> not listed. It defaults to Entourage, which I haven't used in quite
> some time and really don't care for.

First thing I'd do is see if Tbird is the default e-mail client.

Tools > Options > General > Check to see if Thunderbird is the default
email client on start up > Check Now.

Set Tbird as default client. That should fix the problem, if it doesn't,
there's a workaround, see below.

I don't know if you can add to iPhoto's list of possible e-mail clients
directly. I haven't used iPhoto since on first use I found that it
insists on "importing" photos, instead of just working with the folders
I (me, myself, that is, and not Apple) have created. Won't express
myself any more forcefully, in order to spare your shell-like ears. ;-)
Anyhow, if there is a way to extend the clients list, the place to ask
is a Mac/OS-X group. Try there, and good luck.

> I am using iPhoto 4.0.3, and the latest release of Thunderbird. OS X
> 10.4.11. Would upgrading iPhoto solve this?

Not AFAIK.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, you've run into the %^$# limited customisability of Apple-designed
systems, the reason I rarely use my G4 Powerbook for anything other than
surfing (with Firefox, not Safari, bien sur), and playing videos,
which it does very well.

Well, not to worry, there's a workaround.

Create a folder for Posting and Mailing, and copy any pictures that you
want to mail or post to that folder. I put my Posting and Mailing folder
in my main folder (named Wolf, for me of course), so it's easy to find.

When you open New Message in Tbird there's a button labelled Attach.
Click it, navigate to the folder in question, highlight the picture(s)
you want to send, and click Open. That will attach them to the message.
Depending on the recipients' client, they will either see the picture(s)
when they open your message, or they will have to open the
attachment(s) separately, but that's not _your_ problem.

HTH.

--
wolf k.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Jul 22, 2008, 12:34:33 PM7/22/08
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>> I have been wanting to send photos via email using Thunderbird;
>> however, this is not a choice for me. Using preferences in iPhoto,
>> Thunderbird is not listed. It defaults to Entourage, which I haven't
>> used in quite some time and really don't care for.
[...]

> I don't know if you can add to iPhoto's list of possible e-mail clients
> directly.

> Anyhow, if there is a way to extend the clients list, the place to ask
> is a Mac/OS-X group. Try there, and good luck.

Oops, forgot this was a Mac group. Thought I was reading the Mozilla
Thunderbird group.

Red face an' all,

--
wolf k.

Todd

Jul 22, 2008, 9:12:03 PM7/22/08
Thanks for the answer. Prowling the support on Apple's website, the
answer is NO. The list of email clients is fixed and you're stuck with
what they choose for email apps. Why they'd add Entourage to that list
amazes me. Bad enough the list is limiting, but then making it
compatible with Microsoft is just plain wrong. Funny it likes Eudora,
but not Thunderbird.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Jul 23, 2008, 11:06:47 AM7/23/08
Todd wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. Prowling the support on Apple's website, the
> answer is NO. The list of email clients is fixed and you're stuck with
> what they choose for email apps. Why they'd add Entourage to that list
> amazes me. Bad enough the list is limiting, but then making it
> compatible with Microsoft is just plain wrong. Funny it likes Eudora,
> but not Thunderbird.

Well, it may be that there isn't enough of a user base for Tbird in the
Mac world. We could speculate on darker motives, but I'm a pretty good
mood right now. ;-)

I don't like Mail only because its way of handling separate addresses
(mailboxes) doesn't suit my style. Same goes for Eudora. What I like
best about Tbird is the number of options, and the fact that it's easy
to save as any messages in an external folder. I think this should be
the default - I don't see the point of having an internal storage system
for mail. Its filter system is merely OK; I've found it worthwhile to
check the Junk folder before emptying it, as Tbird occasionally puts a
legitimate commercial message there.

As for Entourage - I tried it many moons ago when I bought the
Powerbook, and can't recall why I didn't like it. But don't diss MS
software on the Mac too much - I've been told that Office runs better on
the Mac than on Windows. Could be true. ;-)

--
wolf k.