Skipper's Galley

David Johnson

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

In article <5jhbpt$lct$1...@nadine.teleport.com>,
Don Scheidt <spam....@eatme.net> wrote:
>Memory lane time: anyone remember Skipper's Galley in West Seattle?
>No, nothing to do with a fast-food chain with a sorta similar name.
>This place was insane: the "appetizers and sides" were an entire
>meal unto themselves, all sorts of things: some cheeses, raw veggies,
>nuts, steamed potatoes and carrots, on and on and on... and then you
>ordered your entree. We won't see its like ever again. I remember it
>from about 17 years ago.

Oh, the horror! A group of four of us went to Skipper's
Galley once because of a friend's recommendation. What
were those pink balls? I remember the huge notebook that
served as the menu, with one page per entree, and yet
when we got the entrees, they all looked and tasted the
same. Massive quantities of food, most of it barely even
edible.

We went about 15 years ago. The highlight of the evening
was when the bill came (well over $100, which at that
time seemed awfully pricy for four) and it turned out
they didn't take credit cards. We couldn't scrounge up
enough cash between the four of us, so we had to leave
two hostages at the restaurant while the other two of
us went in search of a cash machine. Truly a memorable
evening.
--
Dave Johnson

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man."
--Kathleen Turner in Body Heat

Burke Dykes

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

d...@cs.washington.edu (David Johnson) wrote:

>In article <5jhbpt$lct$1...@nadine.teleport.com>,
>Don Scheidt <spam....@eatme.net> wrote:
>>Memory lane time: anyone remember Skipper's Galley in West Seattle?

>Oh, the horror! A group of four of us went to Skipper's
>Galley once because of a friend's recommendation. What
>were those pink balls? I remember the huge notebook that
>served as the menu, with one page per entree, and yet
>when we got the entrees, they all looked and tasted the
>same. Massive quantities of food, most of it barely even
>edible.

Skippers was an experience, I've seldom heard anyone extol the quality
of the food. What could you expect from a tiny shack (and that's
exactly what it was before the major upgrade) that listed half of the
world's known dishes on its massive menu. By the way, there was just
one menu-book in the old days--and you sat outside at a picnic table
and went over the book and made your choices. And once you got inside
and seated, remember balancing all of the dishes on those tiny tables?

No, the quality was missing but it was an experience.

Burke
From: Burke Dykes | I have gone out to look for myself.
In: West Seattle, WA | If I should return before I get back,
bur...@eskimo.com | hold me until I get here.

Philip Calhoun

Apr 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/24/97

Burke Dykes wrote:
<Snip>

> Skippers was an experience, I've seldom heard anyone extol the quality
> of the food. What could you expect from a tiny shack (and that's
> exactly what it was before the major upgrade) that listed half of the
> world's known dishes on its massive menu. By the way, there was just
> one menu-book in the old days--and you sat outside at a picnic table
> and went over the book and made your choices. And once you got inside
> and seated, remember balancing all of the dishes on those tiny tables?
>
> No, the quality was missing but it was an experience.
>
> Burke
I'm proud to have had the oppotunity to gone to Skipper's Galley.
Sounds like things had changed from Burke's experiences (only one
binder!). I remember the the high prices, but I'm a cheapscape, and I
tried to find it again a few years back, only to be disappointed. I
remember the cook (son of the owner?) who performed a nonstop motion to
keep everything cookin. I guess the attractiveness of the place was the
novelty/irony, success would clearly mean doom. You could not turn this
into a chain. I'm guessing the old man died and the son's wife asked
him why he was working so hard...

Don Scheidt

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

d...@cs.washington.edu (David Johnson) wrote:

>In article <5jhbpt$lct$1...@nadine.teleport.com>,
>Don Scheidt <spam....@eatme.net> wrote:
>>Memory lane time: anyone remember Skipper's Galley in West Seattle?

>Oh, the horror! A group of four of us went to Skipper's

>Galley once because of a friend's recommendation. What
>were those pink balls? I remember the huge notebook that
>served as the menu, with one page per entree, and yet
>when we got the entrees, they all looked and tasted the
>same. Massive quantities of food, most of it barely even
>edible.

Yep, right on the money! You forgot to mention the lady
who ran the dining room, "greeting" you at the door in her
deadpan monotone, and hollering at the help about every
trivial thing. The menu item descriptions were hilarious;
the most common term was "gooified", since they loved to
melt cheese all over everything, using the kitchen's
salamander.

The leftovers lasted for days, or until you got fed up and
threw 'em out. :-)
--
Don Scheidt, dgs...@teleport.com, also at dgs...@cyberspace.com
Browse the Northwest BrewPage. www.teleport.com/~dgs1300/index.shtml

George Rinker

Dec 1, 2015, 8:14:39 PM12/1/15
I used to eat at Skipper's Galley every time I went to Seattle in the 70's. The first times it was in a little shack, with Wally yelling at all the help and producing some of the best food I've ever eaten anywhere, including all over Europe. One time we had to wait four hours before getting in, but it was worth every minute of it. And the prices were good, considering what you got. Later on they expanded it and Wally quit doing all the cooking, and it wasn't so good any more. I'm grieved to learn that he and his wife have both passed away. But not everyone I took there liked it so much, mostly the ordinary fast-food types. Sorry for them, and for the rest of you who couldn't appreciate it.

beera...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2016, 2:44:17 PM1/16/16
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:14:39 PM UTC-8, George Rinker wrote:
> I used to eat at Skipper's Galley every time I went to Seattle in the 70's. The first times it was in a little shack, with Wally yelling at all the help and producing some of the best food I've ever eaten anywhere, including all over Europe. One time we had to wait four hours before getting in, but it was worth every minute of it. And the prices were good, considering what you got. Later on they expanded it and Wally quit doing all the cooking, and it wasn't so good any more. I'm grieved to learn that he and his wife have both passed away. But not everyone I took there liked it so much, mostly the ordinary fast-food types. Sorry for them, and for the rest of you who couldn't appreciate it.

Wow! What memories I have of that place. The original building was right at the sidewalk before Wally built the new one behind. My first job in high school 1972-3 and and I lived just down the street. Washed dishes by hand in a dinky crowded kitchen next to Chef Wally and his son Danny. A crowd of people every night waiting to get in. No reservations taken. I Only seated 24 people. Wally would scream and yell at all the help, especially his wife Jeanette. Wally was one tough mean old bugger but had a good heart. Treated you real nice sometimes. After work I ate steak and seafood for dinner.

raymond...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2019, 12:09:23 PM6/26/19

Can anyone recall the exact address of Skipper’s Galley? I recently acquired a door from the Log Cabin museum and I suspect it was from this restaurant. The door has a stained glass window and a brass sign that says “Even a hog cleans his plate. Galley Queen #2”.

Jizzy Dee

Sep 11, 2021, 11:25:12 PM9/11/21
On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 9:09:23 AM UTC-7, raymond...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone recall the exact address of Skipper’s Galley? I recently acquired a door from the Log Cabin museum and I suspect it was from this restaurant. The door has a stained glass window and a brass sign that says “Even a hog cleans his plate. Galley Queen #2”.

This was my first Job, Walley was the best chef ever. every meal finished off with a genuine baked Alaska, we got to eat left overs ( un served baked Alaska's when to many were prepared in advance as they had to be) because Walley NEVER re used food. Yes Wally walley? was tough but he hired me at 13 yrs old , went on to work at parkwest care center next door and later Webster's original location ( not charsltown café location)

Jizzy Dee

Sep 11, 2021, 11:26:55 PM9/11/21
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:14:39 PM UTC-8, George Rinker wrote:
> I used to eat at Skipper's Galley every time I went to Seattle in the 70's. The first times it was in a little shack, with Wally yelling at all the help and producing some of the best food I've ever eaten anywhere, including all over Europe. One time we had to wait four hours before getting in, but it was worth every minute of it. And the prices were good, considering what you got. Later on they expanded it and Wally quit doing all the cooking, and it wasn't so good any more. I'm grieved to learn that he and his wife have both passed away. But not everyone I took there liked it so much, mostly the ordinary fast-food types. Sorry for them, and for the rest of you who couldn't appreciate it.
..>> my first job and yes you got is all correct.