best chinese in seattle?

Dewdman42

Jun 6, 2002, 7:50:08 PM6/6/02
Where is the best chinese food in seattle or on the eastside?

Mike Garrison

Jun 6, 2002, 8:18:24 PM6/6/02
Dewdman42 wrote:

> Where is the best chinese food in seattle or on the eastside?

Doesn't that depend on your taste? China is a big country
and there are lots of different kinds of "Chinese food".

-Mike

Al

Jun 7, 2002, 1:06:53 AM6/7/02
In article <QySL8.128923$%y.137...@bin4.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>,
Dewdman4...@yahoo.com says...

> Where is the best chinese food in seattle or on the eastside?

In the International District/Chinatown.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Jun 7, 2002, 2:46:42 AM6/7/02
"Dewdman42" <Dewdman4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Where is the best chinese food in seattle or on the eastside?

My favorites are Uptown China, near Key Arena, and Hong's Garden in Renton.
Both are very classy.

Everything I have ever had at Uptown China tastes like somebody in the kitchen
CARES that my food was perfect.
Even the fired rice is a work of art.

Hong's Garden is great for Dimsum.

There are only two kinds of food: good and bad.
Also, all of life's big problems include the words "indictment" or "inoperable."
Everything else is small stuff.
Alton Brown, Host of Food TV's Good Eats.

VJ

Jun 7, 2002, 2:01:00 PM6/7/02
lol, well, you guys should try the "dong hai" restaurant in Redmond by Bank
of America...also Noble Court in Bellevue and Honeycourt in China town.

"Ernie Leimkuhler" <er...@stagesmith.com> wrote in message

Lawrence Lin

Jun 7, 2002, 3:06:17 PM6/7/02
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, edspresso wrote:

> OK, to be more specific, where is the best dim sum in Seattle?

"Best" anything is impossible to nail down.

FWIW, I like Top Gun in Chinatown: 668 S King St

--
[2048/1024 bit DH/DSS <ll...@u.washington.edu>]
Key ID: 0xF1B44F9D

Mark L. Chang

Jun 7, 2002, 3:49:36 PM6/7/02
"Dewdman42" <Dewdman4...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Where is the best chinese food in seattle or on the eastside?

Since you mentioned dim sum, check out Top Gun. I like to Eastside
location better than the ID location. Look it up.

For rather tasty non-dim-sum Chinese food, on the East side (duh, I
live on the East side), check out Shanghai Cafe, right near the Top
Gun. Both are in Factoria. Both are excellent.

--
www.mchang.org | www.acmelab.org | decss.zoy.org

Al

Jun 7, 2002, 9:59:20 PM6/7/02
In article <3d00e...@nopics.sjc>, ehy...@directvinternet.com says...

> OK, to be more specific, where is the best dim sum in Seattle?

Sun Ya in Chinatown or the Imperial Seafood in the Great Wall Mall in
Kent. House of Hong in Renton is good, but was a bit disappointing on
Mother's Day.

Fred Krusemark

Jun 8, 2002, 8:40:24 PM6/8/02
My vote is for Snappy Dragon, on Roosevelt south of Northgate Mall

"Dewdman42" <Dewdman4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Doug Freyubrger

Jun 9, 2002, 5:16:15 PM6/9/02

Not really, good food is good food and bad food is bad food.

China is at least as diverse as Europe. If you asked "Where is the best
European food in Seattle" and one person listed their favorite Russian
place, another there favorite Spanish place and anther their favorite
German place, they would all be right.

One thing I can say: No need to go north. Pickings are slim anywhere
north of Alderwood mall. I like P F Changs in the Bellveue mall, but I
don't go to downtown Seattle on weekends because my wife works there
weekdays and doesn't want to go on weekends.

Alan Zelt

Jun 9, 2002, 10:34:50 PM6/9/02
Doug Freyubrger wrote:

> One thing I can say: No need to go north. Pickings are slim anywhere
> north of Alderwood mall. I like P F Changs in the Bellveue mall, but I
> don't go to downtown Seattle on weekends because my wife works there
> weekdays and doesn't want to go on weekends.

Obviously, you are not familiar with T & T Seafood on Aurora, across
from Fred Meyer up north. Mighty fine Chinese, with a subset of seafood
their specialty.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Computer Jones

Jun 10, 2002, 5:27:54 PM6/10/02

"Alan Zelt" <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote in message

I'd like to put in a very hearty second for T & T.
Their specials board is one of the best I've tasted.
Parking is a bit easier in back.

Mike Pearson <see .sig>

Jun 10, 2002, 6:35:32 PM6/10/02
Computer Jones <Comput...@Phreaker.net> wrote:

> I'd like to put in a very hearty second for T & T.
> Their specials board is one of the best I've tasted.
> Parking is a bit easier in back.

Yes, T&T is very good. I have also been very pleased with Doong Kong
Lau, the Hakka restaurant on Aurora at around 97th or so. Order any of
the hotpots or house specials with the pickled vegetables in
them...excellent!

--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ SeaNAR - The Seattle NAR Section #568

Mike Garrison

Jun 10, 2002, 6:21:38 PM6/10/02
When I go to the Mariners game I almost always start the
evening at Shanghai Garden (6th and Weller). The same family
who owns that also owns sister restaurants on the Eastside
(I've been to the Issaquah one).

My dad and I usually get the house special hand-shaven chow
mein. I also really like their barley-green potstickers.

-Mike

news

Jun 17, 2002, 7:55:24 PM6/17/02
My vote is Snappy Dragon or black peral
"Fred Krusemark" <clark...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Lurker Steve

Jun 19, 2002, 11:01:13 AM6/19/02
"Mark L. Chang" <mchang...@acmelab.org> wrote in message

> For rather tasty non-dim-sum Chinese food, on the East side (duh, I
> live on the East side), check out Shanghai Cafe, right near the Top
> Gun. Both are in Factoria. Both are excellent.

There's a Szechuan restaurant in Bellevue on 148th, near the Red Robin.
It's quite good; their garlic eggplant is superb.

Claire Petersky

Jun 19, 2002, 6:23:07 PM6/19/02

"Lurker Steve" <lurke...@evilemail.com> wrote in message

Do you mean the Maple Garden? Or?

Thanks.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky (cpet...@yahoo.com)
Home of the meditative bicyclist:

Chicagojo

Jun 19, 2002, 8:10:41 PM6/19/02

I just tried Bamboo Terrace off of 43rd in Wallingford. Great food, small
quiet place. Definatly a must try.
Deb

Keegan Hartman

Jun 21, 2002, 3:35:03 AM6/21/02
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:10:41 -0700, Chicagojo <D...@chicagojo.com>
wrote:

>I just tried Bamboo Terrace off of 43rd in Wallingford. Great food, small
>quiet place. Definatly a must try.

Used to get a little carry out thing of fried rice for lunch when I
was at Ballard @ Lincoln. Neat little joint.

smapdi

Jun 21, 2002, 6:52:35 AM6/21/02
Mandarin Chef in the U-district is pretty darn good, and if it was mentioned
in this thread, then I missed it. A former chef from Snappy Dragon runs the
place, and the menu and style of food is very similar, right down to the
wonderful handmade dumplings and chow mein noodles.

Mandarin Chef has advantages over Snappy Dragon. For one, you can walk into
Mandarin Chef and get a table right away. None of the horrible waits that
characterize the typical night out at the Dragon. It's smaller and the
service is more prompt. Again, less of a wait. It's a little cheaper,
maybe $.50 an entree. And it's better. I guess it's been a couple of years
since I've been to Snappy Dragon, but one of the reasons I quit going was
that they were having real problems with the consistency. It seemed every
other meal I was eating there was sub par. A friend of mine who lives
close to Snappy Dragon says that the restaurant has settled down and
produces more consistent fare these days, but I still take my business to
Mandarin Chef. I also prefer their specials. It's a good place to go in
asparagus season.

I'm also a big fan of Doong Kong Lau, the Hakka place on Aurora and about
100th St. I believe someone else mentioned it in this thread. They have a
ton of great dishes, but the one that keeps me coming back is the sauteed
green beens with pickled garlic.

Shamus

Ivan Weiss

Jun 21, 2002, 7:07:09 PM6/21/02
"smapdi" <sha...@lapis.com> wrote in message news:1024656935.11836@yasure...

> I'm also a big fan of Doong Kong Lau, the Hakka place on Aurora and about
> 100th St. I believe someone else mentioned it in this thread. They have
> ton of great dishes, but the one that keeps me coming back is the sauteed
> green beens with pickled garlic.

I try to get steamed whole fish whenever I am there. It has never
disappointed. IMO Doong Kong Lau is one of the better Chinese restaurants in
the city.
----
Ivan Weiss http://www.nwguild.org
Vashon WA http://www.baseball116.com
http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0219/nc-fullerton2.shtml

Lurker Steve

Jun 23, 2002, 4:18:01 AM6/23/02
"Claire Petersky" <cpet...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Lurker Steve" <lurke...@evilemail.com> wrote in message
> > There's a Szechuan restaurant in Bellevue on 148th, near the Red Robin.
> > It's quite good; their garlic eggplant is superb.
>
> Do you mean the Maple Garden? Or?

No, I think it's just called Szechuan Chinese. It's in a strip mall next to
a Subway. I think technically
it's on 24th.

Claire Petersky

Jun 23, 2002, 12:47:49 PM6/23/02
"Lurker Steve" <lurke...@evilemail.com> wrote in message

Hate to be so obtuse, but I think we're talking about the old New Saigon
location? Near Futon Factory?

FWIW, Maple Garden has pretty good eggplant, too.

Lurker Steve

Jun 25, 2002, 11:03:21 AM6/25/02

> Hate to be so obtuse, but I think we're talking about the old New Saigon
> location? Near Futon Factory?

That's it. It's between the Futon Factory and the teriyaki place.

> FWIW, Maple Garden has pretty good eggplant, too.

Thanks, I'll have to try it :-)

Steve

Brett Jungbluth

Jun 29, 2002, 10:23:32 PM6/29/02
Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon. Period. Shhhh... Don't tell anyone else.

Alan Zelt

Jun 30, 2002, 2:16:05 AM6/30/02
Brett Jungbluth wrote:

> Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon. Period. Shhhh... Don't tell anyone else.
>
> > Where is the best chinese food in seattle or on the eastside?

Hmmmm. Judy is a Seattle institution for many years. Prior to this
incarnation, she was the chef at the old Panda restaurants in Wedgewood
and Interbay. Prior to that she was the chef at the old (forgot its
name) Sechuan and Mongolian restaurant on Lake City Way near 125th St.

Jeff in Fremont

Jun 30, 2002, 5:04:05 AM6/30/02
Genghis Khan, next to The Showbox on 1st Ave. Awesome food, great staff,
best kept secret in Seattle.

LutraEnterprises

Jun 30, 2002, 6:42:59 AM6/30/02
We just ate again at the Shanghai Garden (across from where Iwajimaya used to
be) and once again it was delicious, plentiful, wonderful food and great
service. My top choice when I want to have great Chinese food! The hand-shaved
noodles are utterly orgasmic!

Wayne H Lau

Jul 1, 2002, 2:31:12 AM7/1/02
Doong Kong Lau is somewhat overpriced. In the Shoreline area, there are two
better authentic restaurants: Lam's Seafood on 155th just west of Aurora (in
the old Keg restaurant) and T n T across from the Aurora Fred Meyer.

Ivan Weiss

Jul 1, 2002, 10:09:37 AM7/1/02
"Wayne H Lau" <wayn...@foxinternet.net> wrote in message

> Ivan Weiss wrote:
>
> > "smapdi" <sha...@lapis.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I'm also a big fan of Doong Kong Lau, the Hakka place on Aurora and
about
> > > 100th St. I believe someone else mentioned it in this thread. They
have
> > > ton of great dishes, but the one that keeps me coming back is the
sauteed
> > > green beens with pickled garlic.
> >
> > I try to get steamed whole fish whenever I am there. It has never
> > disappointed. IMO Doong Kong Lau is one of the better Chinese
restaurants in
> > the city.

> Doong Kong Lau is somewhat overpriced. In the Shoreline area, there are
two
> better authentic restaurants: Lam's Seafood on 155th just west of Aurora
(in
> the old Keg restaurant) and T n T across from the Aurora Fred Meyer.

Thanks, Wayne. I'm always on the lookout for a better Chinese restaurant. I
hadn't heard of these. I'll even forgive your top posting. };->

BobL

Jul 3, 2002, 11:37:39 PM7/3/02

"Alan Zelt" <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote in message

BobL

Jul 3, 2002, 11:42:24 PM7/3/02
A couple of suggestions:

For dim sum, we like Honey Court in the ID.

For fresh, store made noodles, try Tai Ho in Kenmore (Bothell Way)

Bob L.

Greg Samson

Jul 7, 2002, 7:10:35 PM7/7/02

"Alan Zelt" <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote in message
> Brett Jungbluth wrote:
> >
> > Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon. Period. Shhhh... Don't tell anyone else.
> >
> > > Where is the best chinese food in seattle or on the eastside?
> > >

> Hmmmm. Judy is a Seattle institution for many years.

Does this identify a particular Snappy Dragon, or is there only one Snappy
Dragon...?

--
u w i z a t c l u e s t i c k d o t o r g

Alan Zelt

Jul 7, 2002, 11:12:01 PM7/7/02

Only one SD, which is in the Maple Leaf neighborhood.

RP

Jul 8, 2002, 4:53:17 AM7/8/02
You know, the Szechwan Chicken is so good and spicy that it'll Szechwan
fire!