Couple DrScheme Tips

ozten

Sep 24, 2007, 3:19:15 PM9/24/07
to Seattle SICP Study Group
I have found a few things helpful in DrScheme.

Automatic renaming of variables:
Click "Check Syntax". Hover over where you define a variable, such as
in a lambda argument list. Right click "rename foo" and all uses
within this scope will be renamed.

Help Desk Search:
The help desk search is actually really good and finds things from
R5RS, SRFIs, PLT MZScheme language manual, etc.

Code Expander:
Michael was talking about expanding code. If you choose Language -
"Beginner Student" or "Intermediate Student" then there will be a
"Step" button instead of a "debug" button. Clicking launches a code
stepper that will incrementally expand your functions with their
definition and values.

Macro Expander:
Dr Scheme Version 360 or higher
Language "Pretty Big", there is a button Macro Stepper which is just
like "Step", it launches a new window. YOu can pick which peice of
syntax to expand and you can look at how your macros expand during
compilation.

Code Completion:
I haven't actually tried this one, but the nightly builds are supposed
to have support for "hippie completion".
http://blog.plt-scheme.org/2007/09/completions-in-drscheme-finally.html
I can't wait until that makes it into the stable build since 371.3
doesn't work for me on Mac or Linux.

-- Austin