RECAP Frigid Digit Regatta 2024

Mark Ross

Jan 25, 2024, 11:31:40 PMJan 25
to 'Mark Ross' via Seattle Laser Fleet, rs-ae...@googlegroups.com
RECAP FRIGID DIGIT REGATTA January 20-21, 2024

It was a pleasant surprise to have a nice northerly breeze throughout the day on Saturday, enough to require moderate hiking. With the wind bucking up against an ebb tide the water was a bit choppy but overall a great day of sailing. The race committee had us racing at about noon as scheduled. The ILCA 7 Fleet completed 5 races and the RS Aeros completed 6 races before heading in for the day. Everyone was very appreciative of hot soup/chili and fixings provided by CYC on both days.

We werent quite as lucky on Sunday. We arrived at CYC to see flat water and a lot of rain. With great optimism the race committee went out on schedule while skeptical sailors remained at the dock. RC return a few hours later but continued to hold-out for some sign of wind to come. The ILCA sailors decided to pack it in at about 12:30. Around 1pm RC headed back out along with the Aeros. Mike Johnson provided this report: “We had 2 marginal races in an easterly. After a little wait, a southerly finally came in. We started a 3rd race in the 5-8 southerly and it fizzled on the first run when the current overcame the wind and the race was abandoned by the RC. Everyone rocked home."

Alex Zaputil won four of the 5 races in the ILCA 7 class and was presented with the Frigid Digit Perpetual Trophy (see first picture), its 51st year. This on the heels of winning the Turkey Bowl back in November. Congratulations Alex on your commanding performance! There were no participants in the ILCA 6s or 4.7s.

Dalton Bergen earned the perpetual trophy for the RS Aero Fleet (see second picture). First place finishes were scattered throughout the top 5 finishers but Dalton’s consistency made the difference. Dan Falk and Keith Hammer, tied in points, took 2nd and 3rd place.

A warm thank you to CYC staff, race chair and race committee for organizing and running the regatta and to the volunteers for providing food and bartending.