IF Game Timeline

James Lawton

Jul 24, 2010, 6:05:06 PM7/24/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I wrote a quick script today to find out the number of games indexed on IFDB, by year of publication. I'm sure someone has properly mined these data more comprehensively, but I haven't seen it, and I thought the results were interesting enough to post here. I also added points to show how many games were entered into the annual comp.

The data collected amounted to 3491 of 3645 games in IFDB. The others, I guess, have no recorded year of publication, or didn't show up for some other reason. I put no store in these numbers, as game count is a pretty flawed metric from which to base any conclusions, and anyway, IFDB doesn't encompass nearly everything that might be considered interactive fiction. On the other hand, I think the IFDB is comprehensive enough in its space to make me pose the question of what this graph would look like.

I put a png version of the graph at the following location, in case I'm not allowed to attach the pdf, or it causes problems with your mail client:

http://sites.google.com/site/jlawtonstorage/if/IF-Timeline.png

--James

IF-Timeline.pdf

Andrew Plotkin

Jul 24, 2010, 9:14:25 PM7/24/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, James Lawton wrote:

> I wrote a quick script today to find out the number of games indexed on
> IFDB, by year of publication. I'm sure someone has properly mined these
> data more comprehensively, but I haven't seen it, and I thought the
> results were interesting enough to post here. I also added points to
> show how many games were entered into the annual comp.
>

> http://sites.google.com/site/jlawtonstorage/if/IF-Timeline.png

Very nice. Thanks.

--Z

*

Cathy Saxton

Jul 25, 2010, 12:41:53 PM7/25/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your results.

Cathy

Andrew Plotkin

Jul 26, 2010, 12:40:59 PM7/26/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Hey, can I snarf a copy of this graph for the Gameshelf blog?

James Lawton

Jul 26, 2010, 12:55:36 PM7/26/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Sure. Be my guest.