Future meeting idea: IF Beta and Unit Testing

Lance Campbell

Jun 13, 2020, 12:12:46 PM6/13/20
to Seattle IF
Hi all. Greg requested some new ideas for future meetings so I am posting one here.

With the IFCOMP 2020 looming on the horizon, there are most likely plenty of opportunities for our group to contribute to the IF community via beta testing potential candidates. I have done a small amount of beta testing but I would like to hear from both authors and experienced beta testers on processes used and what works best.

Also, as a tangential idea, how do you all unit test your projects. And, more specifically, how do you unit test Inform 7 projects using the Skein, "Test with", testing extensions, or whatever tools you use. What about Twine? That sort of thing.

Greg Frost

Jun 13, 2020, 12:19:51 PM6/13/20
to Seattle IF
Lance,

That sounds like a good topic, and I'd be interested to hear from more experienced authors and testers what kinds of techniques they use. I know that for Inform 7 I have stolen a technique from another game where you can construct a "Test me" out of a series of sub-tests like "Test intro" and "Test ending." That way if one section changes, the overall test function still works.