Virtual Meeting June 14

Greg Frost

May 24, 2020, 4:42:18 PM5/24/20
to Seattle IF
Since there was interest in going to a monthly schedule, we'll hold the next meeting by video conference on Sunday, June 14 from 2-4 PM PDT. Please let me know if you would like to attend and I will send out the link by email.

This time we'll play the other two games that received "Best in Show" awards in Spring Thing 2020: Jelly by Tom Lento and Chandler Groover, and Hawk the Hunter by Jonathan B. Himes. If time allows, we'll also discuss Ryan Veeder's Authentic Fly Fishing (including spoilers).

One other announcement: NarraScope 2020 is taking place online from May 28 through June 4. Registration is free for this year's conference; you may donate to offset honoraria and streaming costs if you wish to do so.

Stefan Olofsson

May 26, 2020, 3:26:12 PM5/26/20
to Seattle IF
Hi Greg, I'd like to attend. New to the group, and looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Lance Campbell

May 27, 2020, 6:51:14 PM5/27/20
to Seattle IF
Sounds good. I have been playing Fly Fishing on and off this week. It's got quite a bit going on, not just the puzzles and hidden content, but also references to other games in the Ryan Veeder universe. It will be interesting to compare notes with others in the group.

Greg Frost

Jun 13, 2020, 12:16:52 PM6/13/20
to Seattle IF
I just sent out an email with the link for the Google Meeting. If you haven't received that or the Google Calendar event for some reason, let me know and I will make sure the link gets to you.

Greg Frost

Sep 14, 2020, 12:08:56 AM9/14/20
to Seattle IF
Here are my notes from the June meeting:

Attendees: David D, David L, Greg, Lance, Mike, Paul, Ryan, Seth, ??? (apparently I forgot to write them down; let me know if you were there and aren't listed)
Location: Online (Google Meet)

Program (2 PM - 4:30 PM)
Introductions
Played most of Jelly by Chandler Groover and Tom Lento.
Discussed games that could not or should not be done in any form other than text.
Discussed Twine abuse.
Discussed whether Chandler Groover should be known as the "disturbing games with food" guy.
Discussed whether notes for this game would look bad in a civil or criminal proceeding. (e.g. "need eels, corpses; make a letter? R")

Played part of Hawk the Hunter by Jonathan B. Himes.
Discussed the deep implementation and tracking of stats in the game.
Discussed the group's flagrant Inform chauvinism.
Noted with regret that the broken idol really tied the room together.

Discussed Ryan Veeder's Authentic Fly Fishing, with special guest Ryan Veeder.
Discussed characters controlling space, and who owns different parts of the map.
Show and tell time with pencil drawn maps of Jewel Pond.
Discussed the totally credible theory that Harlan Waverley is a time traveling Jack Deacons.

Miscellaneous discussion of other projects.
Adjourned at 4:45 PM.