meetup March 24

mike.z...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2019, 10:19:05 PM3/8/19
to Seattle IF
The next Seattle area IF meetup will be Sunday, March 24, at 2:00 p.m. in Room 374, Thompson Hall, at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma.  (It's the same place we've met the last few times.  Again, the parking lot next to Thompson Hall is available for visitors to park in, and it should be quite empty on a Sunday afternoon.)

We'll be playing through some of "Cragne Manor," the massive "Anchorhead" tribute game organized by Ryan Veeder and Jenni Polodna and featuring over 80 authors.

Hope to see you there!

Mike

gregor...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2019, 8:16:31 PM3/17/19
to Seattle IF
I'll be there.

Gene Michael Stover

Mar 18, 2019, 1:54:45 PM3/18/19
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Hello all.  My name is Gene Stover.  I played text adventures decades ago & have recently returned to playing them.
Is it okay if I drop in?

I've never been to U of PS.  Is there anything I need to know about finding the room that isn't on Google Maps?

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 5:16 PM <gregor...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll be there.

Gene Stover (ge...@acm.org)

gregor...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2019, 11:56:56 AM3/20/19
to Seattle IF
Hi Gene, we're glad to have you join us.

To get to Thompson Hall from the parking lot, you can go upstairs to the third floor and turn right, or head to the east entrance and go up. Thompson Hall is connected to the other buildings and they share a common courtyard.

Gene Michael Stover

Mar 24, 2019, 11:20:00 PM3/24/19
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Hello all.  I had a good time, & I hope to see yall again.
Let's see if I remember all the names: Mike, Dave, Alan, Alan, Greg, Brian, & Jarod.

My e-mail is ge...@acm.org or gst...@gmail.com .  (They go to the same place.  Use either. Apologies if it's confusing.  I've had ge...@acm.org since about 1991, though it's forwarded to gst...@gmail.com for more than 10 years.  Hard to break old habits.)

What text adventures are you playing?
I started "dunnet" because I learned of it recently & have been a Gnu emacs user since about 1987.  Figured I couldn't pass up a game that had been hiding in my editor for decades.

Mike Spivey

Mar 24, 2019, 11:28:50 PM3/24/19
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Glad you could make it, Gene!

The two Alans are both Adams, but otherwise that's everyone who was there today.

If you're looking for recommendations, two recent (but in the classic style) text adventures I've particularly enjoyed in the past year are Alias 'The Magpie' (https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=yspn49v69hzc8rtb) and Illuminismo Iniziato (https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=g4uj2rf4a66ko1t8).

Mike

gregor...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2019, 9:15:25 AM4/8/19
to Seattle IF
Gene,

I recently played Bronze for the first time in the context of trying to learn how to do more things with Inform 7. It has a lot of old-school puzzles, but it also has a particularly modern and thorough implementation. There are some very sophisticated things going on internally as well, which can be appreciated by reading the source code.

Gene Michael Stover

Apr 9, 2019, 11:16:43 AM4/9/19
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

Thanks for the recommendation.  Cuz of it, I started playing Bronze last night.  Got only about 10 rooms into it because I had to start late in the evening, but I intend to play it through.  Very polished game.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 6:15 AM <gregor...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gene,

I recently played Bronze for the first time in the context of trying to learn how to do more things with Inform 7. It has a lot of old-school puzzles, but it also has a particularly modern and thorough implementation. There are some very sophisticated things going on internally as well, which can be appreciated by reading the source code.

Gene Stover (ge...@acm.org)

Greg Frost

Sep 14, 2020, 1:09:50 AM9/14/20
to Seattle IF
Here are my notes from the March 2019 meetup:

Attendees: Adam, Adam, Brian, David, Gene, Greg, Jared, Mike
Location: University of Puget Sound, Thompson Hall 374

Program (2 PM - 4 PM)
Mike introduced Cragne Manor, a ridiculous collaborative tribute game to Anchorhead with 84 contributors
 -Jenni Polodna and Ryan Veeder planned, organized, integrated, and managed the unholy task
 -Brian, Greg, and Mike each created rooms for the game
Played part of Cragne Manor, up to the Estate Agent's Office
Adjourned at 4:20 PM