next meetup Sunday, January 19

Mike Spivey

Jan 9, 2020, 4:21:48 PM1/9/20
to Seattle IF
The next meetup of the Seattle IF group will be Sunday, January 19, from 2:00 - 4:30 p.m. in Room 409 of Thompson Hall at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma.  It's the same place we met last time.

The plan is to play Matt Wigdahl's Aotearoa.  It's the ten-year anniversary of this game, which won IFComp 2010 and seven XYZZY awards - including Best Game.

Hope to see you there!

Gene Michael Stover

Jan 9, 2020, 6:14:21 PM1/9/20
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.  I missed the previous one due to a family problem, but I'm looking forward to the get-together this coming January 19.
I'll see yall there.

Gene Stover (ge...@acm.org)

Lance Campbell

Jan 9, 2020, 6:26:56 PM1/9/20
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
I will be out of town that weekend but I will see you all at the next meeting.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 1:21 PM Mike Spivey <mike.z...@gmail.com> wrote:

Paxton

Jan 10, 2020, 1:17:01 PM1/10/20
to Seattle IF
I'll be there! I'll also repost this to the Seattle Indies Discord in case other locals are interested. If anyone here hasn't joined the Seattle Indies Discord it's a great communication space for all kinds of games: https://discord.gg/KTvcr6T

Greg Frost

Jan 19, 2020, 11:03:51 PM1/19/20
to Seattle IF
Here are my notes from the meeting today.

Attendees:
Mike Spivey
Greg Frost
Gene Stover
Seth Paxton
Paul Malolepsy

2:00 Introductions
2-4:45 Played Matt Wigdahl's Aotearoa.
4:45 Adjourn

Greg Frost

Jan 20, 2020, 12:27:53 AM1/20/20
to Seattle IF
Here are the Māori words that we encountered in the game during our play through today. Definitions are based on those from the dictionary at https://maoridictionary.co.nz/

Aotearoa — north island; New Zealand
tama — son; boy; nephew
taniwha — powerful creature; monster; something awesome; [dinosaur]
toa — warrior; brave man; expert
māhunga wai — idiot; forgetful person
āwhā — storm; gale; heavy rain
i pai ai — (interjection) fortunately; thank goodness
kauri — a type of large tree
kāpia — kauri gum; resin
tēnā koe — hello (to one person); thank you
wairua — spirit; soul
āniwaniwa — rainbow; halo

Mike Spivey

Jan 20, 2020, 2:05:17 PM1/20/20
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
And here are the save game files from our play of Aotearoa yesterday, in case anyone who was there wants to continue from where we left off.  When we stopped we had scored 7/12 points.

Mike

aotearoa.sav
aotearoa2.sav
aotearoa3.sav

Lance Campbell

Feb 5, 2020, 3:23:50 PM2/5/20
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
So, what's the consensus? What did you guys think of the game? Haven't played it myself. Would love to hear the scoop.

Mike Spivey

Feb 5, 2020, 3:48:08 PM2/5/20
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
I thought Aotearoa was quite good. It's really well-implemented and has an interesting story.  It's maybe a little on the easy side, but it still kept me engaged for the 2.5 hours we played it during the meetup.  I can see why it won IFComp and the XYZZY Best Game award.  I have yet to go back and finish it, but I plan to do so.

Mike

Gene Michael Stover

Feb 12, 2020, 11:40:12 AM2/12/20
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
The syntax highlighting was a nice feature.
I think the "your terp should be able to display wonky characters" requirement was an unnecessary & annoying burden.
Story was good & straightforward, though.  Narrative was good in that it was evocative without being too wordy.

--
Gene Stover (ge...@acm.org)