Ductless heatpump

holly...@comcast.net

Dec 7, 2021, 11:13:15 PM12/7/21
to seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com

Hi all - My son is putting in ductless heat pumps. The contractor is proposing Fujitsu. I have no experience with this brand. Has anyone used these? Are they reliable? Do they have any issues?

Holly

Jonlin, Duane

Dec 7, 2021, 11:36:19 PM12/7/21
to holly...@comcast.net, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com

Hi all - My son is putting in ductless heat pumps. The contractor is proposing Fujitsu. I have no experience with this brand. Has anyone used these? Are they reliable? Do they have any issues?

Holly

Brad Liljequist

Dec 27, 2021, 1:06:19 PM12/27/21
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Having gone through a conversion myself, and having talked to several installers/people in the know, the Mitsubishi hyperheats are supposed to have better cold temp performance, and to me that counts for a lot.  The are the only HPs to use the efficiently created heat inside to defrost the outdoor unit (ie run in reverse).

Court Olson

Dec 27, 2021, 1:17:06 PM12/27/21
to Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification
I can confirm that.  Our Mitsubishi ducted system, which replaced a gas furnace, is working just fine here this morning when it is 16 degrees outside.

Court

Court Olson
MSCE, CCM, DBIA, LEED AP
Optimum  Building Consultants, LLC
206-245-7176

hollytownes

Dec 27, 2021, 8:06:58 PM12/27/21
to Court Olson, Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification
I can also confirm our Mitsubishi hyperheat is working just fine and has no electric strip back up. It re0laced our ducted gas furnace.

Holly

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Ric Cochrane

Dec 27, 2021, 8:18:52 PM12/27/21
to hollytownes, Court Olson, Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification
Piling on -- our Mitsubishi Hyper Heat (ducted system -- one condensing unit, two air handlers) ran just fine in the teen-temps this morning. I have always thought it was too much machine for our climate but it's nice to have reassurance that it will maintain temp in an old house.

Ric Cochrane"Find your place on the planet. Dig in, and take responsibility from there." — Gary Snyder

Brad Liljequist

Dec 28, 2021, 12:41:10 PM12/28/21
to Western Washington Home Electrification
OK, I'm officially jealous.  Two space heaters on, Daikin Fit can't keep temp.  But then I undersized our HP...you can go too far.  So probably in part due to capacity.

Gotta enclose that crawlspace per the decarb retrofit plan!!

Jonlin, Duane

Feb 17, 2022, 12:41:44 AM2/17/22
to hollytownes, Court Olson, Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification
Urgently (testifying Thursday AM):
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the difference in installed cost between a unitary heat pump water heater in your basement vs. a SanCO2 split system heat pump water heater?
DJ

Duane Jonlin, FAIA
Energy Code and Energy Conservation Advisor
P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA 98124-4019
P: 206.233.2781 |  duane.jonlin@seattle.gov
small facebooksmall twitter birdsmall wordpress logo

As stewards and regulators of land and buildings, we preserve and enhance the equity, livability, safety and health in our communities.

Feb 17, 2022, 8:43:00 AM2/17/22
to Jonlin, Duane, hollytownes, Court Olson, Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification

Duane,

Last summer, my SanCO2 unit cost about $10k. It required some extra demo work and had some routing challenges. With a simpler install where the tank was a short distance away from the outdoor unit, I’m guessing the cost could drop to around the $8k range. Like most technology, I anticipate that the costs will drop when there is a competitor and more volume.

Cheers

Allan Montpellier, PE, LEED AP

PRINCIPAL
he | him

PAE

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the difference in installed cost between a unitary heat pump water heater in your basement vs. a SanCO2 split system heat pump water heater?

DJ

Image removed by sender.

Duane Jonlin, FAIA

Energy Code and Energy Conservation Advisor

P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA 98124-4019

P: 206.233.2781 |  duane.jonlin@seattle.gov

Image removed by sender. small facebookImage removed by sender. small twitter birdImage removed by sender. small wordpress logo

Brian Gix

Feb 17, 2022, 12:46:22 PM2/17/22
to Allan Montpellier, Jonlin, Duane, hollytownes, Court Olson, Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification
$10K seems like a lot of money for a water heater.

I had my 15yo gas water heater replaced last spring with a heat pump all-in-one, and I couldn't be more pleased with it.  I think all of the electrical, labor, plumbing, and unit came to around $6K. I was able to make a small mod in that it's intake (where it's located) is in my usually warm laundry room that contains my gas furnace and clothes dryer, with a 3' duct the blows the cold air into the adjacent garage (where I keep my beer fridge).  It was very nice during last years heat-wave, and probably dropped my basement temp a few degrees.

That said, around here it seems like you always want to either pump the cold outside, or pump the heat outside. I would love some kind of easy switch on my water heater to set the intake/output air blower to either Summer mode or Winter mode.

Jonlin, Duane