induction cooktop

Jordan Van Voast

Dec 25, 2020, 10:27:44 PM12/25/20
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Finally had the GE induction cooktop installed after waiting almost 3 months after the order. COVID delays are hitting many manufacturers.

I'm already seeing a few very tiny scratches in the glass/crystal surface of the top. I quickly realized that the glass is no match for cast iron. One source on the internet recommended putting a paper towel underneath cast iron to protect from scratches, and that seemed to work, but I wonder if even this thin layer separating the pan from the surface reduces the efficiency?

Today just noticed a new scratch from a stainless steel soup pot that I thought was nearly spotless underneath. I'm not attached to the cosmetic beauty of having a spotless shiny cooktop surface, but I want my investment to last. Perhaps others who have experience with induction cooktops could weigh in and give counsel.

thank you,

Jordan Van Voast

Rachel Koller

Jan 4, 2021, 3:49:21 PM1/4/21
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Hi Jordan,
I don't have a solution but wanted to share that we've had a Beku induction stove for about a year and yes - there are micro scratches in the glass top. We use cast iron every day, along with stainless steel pots. I still think it cleans up easily and looks great despite the scratches, and I really don't notice them. Our gas stove was harder to clean and also had scratches in the enamel - we are not meticulous in the kitchen :)
-Rachel

Jeffrey Floor

Jan 4, 2021, 4:02:17 PM1/4/21
to Rachel Koller, Western Washington Home Electrification
Ditto for our GE induction top, which we've had for nearly ten years. Heavy daily use of cast iron, less regular use of stainless, and occasional use of giant die-bath pots. Still way easier to maintain than a gas (or radiant electric) top. We hardly see the scratches at this point. The "Cerama Bryte" cleaner is invaluable keeping it super clean every once in a while.

Sent from a phone