Switched off oil to heat pump

Christine Bunch

Sep 23, 2020, 5:11:43 PM9/23/20
to Seattle Home Electrification
We don't live in Seattle anymore - moved a year ago to Bainbridge Island and love it! So, hopefully I'm still allowed to join this group LOL!

In our old Seattle home (1953) we had an old oil furnace and tank buried in the front yard under the front walkway. There weren't any City of Seattle rebates at the time, but we were able to get a Federal tax credit of $500 which helped. Used Evergreen Heating and Air-conditioning for the install and they were great - took a total of two days for total install which included the electical panel upgrade. Refrigeration line went through the attached garage to the utility room (aka "the bunker"). Used existing ductwork for the most part and had Evergreen rebuild the ducting to the air-handler as the old stuff was pretty beat up. Had them seal all the existing ductwork as well. Total cost, including tax was just over $12,000.

Ended up decommissioning the tank in place since the tank was hard to get to and I didn't want to mess up our walkway. It was pumped, cleaned and filled with foam. Total cost:$700 including permit.   FYI: Make sure to keep your certificate of decommissioning from the Fire Marshal when you sell your home as it is helpful to show prospective buyers.

After heat pump was installed, I added insulation into the attic and air-sealing. Got $500 in rebates from Seattle City Light since the home was now electrically heated. Total cost was about $1,500. Noticed a huge difference with indoor air-quality.  Every other appliance was electric so the oil furnace was the main thing to convert.

Had two cars and donated one to KEXP (and got a tax credit plus a year's worth of free concerts for being a donor). We rarely drove as we took transit everywhere and going to one car saved a bunch. Still have only one car on Bainbridge even though it is more car dependent on the Island.  All appliances in our new home are electric - so now looking at solar :)

Holly

Nov 10, 2020, 7:01:20 PM11/10/20
to Western Washington Home Electrification
HI Christine -  Hi! I just posted my conversion from gas to electric. Nice to see you and Amy on this google group. Holly Townes