Heat pump water heaters

Mike O'Brien

Jan 12, 2024, 12:17:30 PMJan 12
to seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks-

Does anyone have a recommendation for a plumber who can swap out a gas water heater for a heat pump water heater?

As we are replacing gas and oil furnaces with heat pumps, often the only other gas appliance in the home is the water heater. We can’t swap it out because we don’t have a plumbing license but I’d love to be able to suggest someone to do it. Ideally they would be mission aligned on decarbonization so I don’t recommend someone who shows up and suggests a gas water heater replacement would be cheaper. It would also be great if they were price competitive and aware of rebates available.

Thanks for any tips.

Mike

Mike O'Brien

Brian Gix

Jan 12, 2024, 12:42:30 PMJan 12
to Mike O'Brien, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com
We had ours done by “Fast Water Heaters” contracted out of Home Depot back in the spring of 2021. I don’t know if they are “Mission Oriented”, but they installed what we asked for (Ruud Ultra Series Professional 65 gallon) with no questions asked… or at least no questions as to why I would be choosing hybrid over the perfectly usable gas service I had.

One suggestion that I have for anyone considering this route is that you often have to go with a smaller capacity tank to meet all the air exchange requirements (especially overhead clearance, where the air intake is). This can be mitigated by increasing the water temperature, and adding a mixer valve set at 115 degrees or so. This increases the “effective 115 degree capacity” while also preventing scald danger. And then use the smart phone app to fine tune the heating schedule so that water is hot when you normally use it, and times like overnight, it doesn’t have to needlessly keep it at peak temperature.

Tom Balderston

Jan 13, 2024, 10:33:42 PMJan 13
to Mike O'Brien, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com
i know Seattle city Light rebates replacing electric tank with heat pump,  but is there any rebate for switching form Natural gas to HPWH?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 9:17 AM Mike O'Brien <mobse...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tom Balderston
BALDERSTON ASSOCIATES
11208 1st Ave NW
Seattle WA, 98177

Jonlin, Duane

Jan 13, 2024, 11:17:48 PMJan 13
to Tom Balderston, Mike O'Brien, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com
State law does not allow public utilities to provide incentive payments for switching from one utility’s energy to another. So that would not work for Seattle, but PSE might have something going for non-Seattle jurisdictions.
DJ

Duane Jonlin

Jan 14, 2024, 2:22:26 AMJan 14
to Jonlin, Duane, Tom Balderston, Mike O'Brien, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com

Mike O'Brien

Jan 14, 2024, 2:27:01 AMJan 14
to Jonlin, Duane, Tom Balderston, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com
I know there is a persistent interpretation of the constitution to prohibit fuel switching, but there are lots of examples where it happens anyway.  I don't understand if it is because of specific nuances that I am not aware of, or that some utilities' legal teams have different interpretations, or the amounts are small enough that they assume they will fly under the radar.

For example:

City Light, PSE and SnoPud all participate in a heat pump rebate program that provides $300-$600 off as an instant rebate through the installer. https://www.seattle.gov/city-light/residential-services/home-energy-solutions/heating-and-cooling-your-home#heatpumps

City Light, PSE and SnoPud also offer a $500 instant rebate at Home Depot and Lowes for heat pump water heaters. https://pugetcoupon.dsmcentral.com/traksmart4/html/pux/categories

OPALCO (San Juans) offers up to $1500 in what they cal;l fuel switching rebates. https://www.opalco.com/save/residential-rebates/fuel-switching-to-electric-heating/

Tacoma gives a $2000 rebate if you used a preferred contractor when installing a heat pump. https://www.mytpu.org/ways-to-save/residential-incentives/heat-pump/#pattern_1

 In areas where PSE is the electric provider and the gas provider, they now offer $3000 to switch from gas to heat pump. https://www.pse.com/en/rebates/Electric-Home  This one seems to clearly fall outside the fuel switching because it is the same utility and perhaps different rules apply to investor owned utilities.

Mike
--
****************************
Mike O'Brien

If you are needing to prioritize other things, including self-care, please do not feel obligated to respond immediately.

Mike O'Brien

Jan 14, 2024, 2:29:37 AMJan 14
to Rob Harrison cPHc, Jonlin, Duane, Tom Balderston, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com
My latest intel on the dept of commerce who is administering the IRA federal funds and the state CCA funds, is that it will all be targeted at 150% of AMI and lower and it should be available mid to late 2024.  I sure hope it is before the election. There is not much public info on the timing or the structure of the rebates so I would take my info with a grain of salt.
favicon.ico

Jonlin, Duane

Jan 14, 2024, 11:34:37 AMJan 14
to Mike O'Brien, Rob Harrison cPHc, Tom Balderston, seattle-home-e...@googlegroups.com
I had to look AMI (area median income) up online, and it seems to vary by location, but for a general ballpark:
On one website, 150% of AMI in Washington state generally would be total household income of about $182,000 for a family of four, $124,000 for  a couple, $95,000 for a single person.
Then another website specifically for the Seattle area shows that 150% of AMI is about $189,000 for a family of four, $151,000 for  a couple, $132,000 for a single person.
DJ

Duane Jonlin, FAIA
Energy Code and Energy Conservation Advisor
P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA 98124-4019
P: 206.233.2781 |  duane.jonlin@seattle.gov
small facebooksmall twitter birdsmall wordpress logo

As stewards and regulators of land and buildings, we preserve and enhance the equity, livability, safety and health in our communities.