water heater question

Robin Briggs

Dec 23, 2020, 12:54:27 AM12/23/20
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Our (tankless) water heater has broken and needs to be replaced. It sits in a corner of an unfinished basement that also holds a furnace, heat ducts, etc. The basement itself isn't heated. Would it be better to get a water heater tank with a heat pump on top, or a simple old-style electric water tank heater? Or is there another possibility I am missing? I wasn't really expecting this, and am trying to come up to speed quickly.

Thanks!

 - robin

Amy Wheeless

Dec 23, 2020, 1:10:00 PM12/23/20
to Robin Briggs, Western Washington Home Electrification
Hi Robin! That sounds stressful - sorry!  I'm not sure I have specific advice for your situation, but I lean toward heat pump water heaters. It sounds like it could work with your set-up. Here's a recent NRDC article on this: https://www.nrdc.org/stories/whats-most-energy-efficient-water-heater

Robin Briggs

Dec 23, 2020, 3:29:08 PM12/23/20
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Thanks! I think that may end up being the best for us, I was a little concerned about whether it would end up leaching heat from the furnace -- sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about that since the basement isn't heated. Really impressed by the $500 rebate from SCL for it!

Jonlin, Duane

Dec 23, 2020, 3:48:21 PM12/23/20
to Robin Briggs, Western Washington Home Electrification
Robin,
A heat pump water heater in the basement will certainly make the basement colder. If there's no insulation between the basement and the main living space, it would make the floor colder to the touch, and will draw heat down out of the main living space. (This could be a good thing on a hot summer day, but I digress...)
That's why I'm more enthused about the split system CO2-based heat pumps - the heat pump itself sits outside, so it doesn't cool your home. Those Sanden units are very quiet, work well on very cold days, and the CO2 refrigerant won't exacerbate global warming.
DJ

Duane Jonlin, FAIA
Energy Code and Energy Conservation Advisor
P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA 98124-4019
P: 206.233.2781 |  duane.jonlin@seattle.gov
small facebooksmall twitter birdsmall wordpress logo

As stewards and regulators of land and buildings, we preserve and enhance the equity, livability, safety and health in our communities.

SDCI’s offices are closed to in-person services until further notice. Visit the SDCI website and read our Building Connections blog for service change updates. Thank you for your continued flexibility and patience as we provide online services to help reduce the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus.

Dec 23, 2020, 4:14:52 PM12/23/20
to Robin Briggs, Western Washington Home Electrification
Robin
You won't be ribbing your furnace that much if it is a big space.  Better if it is right next to it though. The only air your furnace would be getting is combustion air . Your basement will be a little colder. When you get it setpoints for electic strip heat kicking in will be critical to whether it is really efficient. Have them show you where and how to set these.

I am available if you want to talk more. Be sure your basement door is weatherstripped.

Holly

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Dec 23, 2020, 4:25:16 PM12/23/20
to Robin Briggs, Western Washington Home Electrification

Kristen Dotson

Dec 23, 2020, 4:46:18 PM12/23/20
to Jonlin, Duane, Robin Briggs, Western Washington Home Electrification
Just had this happen to me a couple of months ago too. I actually wanted the split system CO2 Sanden, but was quoted a $15,000 price tag for it. A super efficient heat pump tank would only run about $5000.

So I went with the cheapest unit I could get to buy myself time (life without hot water + 2 little kids is miserable). Hoping to get a CO2 unit or even an R134 heat pump in a few years when I've saved up some cash and can schedule the replacement on a more relaxed schedule.