Mitsubishi thermostats

Laura Feinstein

Mar 8, 2022, 2:12:44 PM3/8/22
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Hi everyone-
We are very close to choosing a contractor for our new ducted heat pump (it'll be the Mitsubishi hyper heat system 42k BTU).

Do any of you Mitsubishi owners have experience with/opinions about the thermostats? I have quotes for a basic MHK-2 programmable t-stat from Mitsubishi as well as the wifi "Kumo-Cloud" t-stat for another $300+. Any advise on what is needed or if another manufacturer offers a better t-stat that is nicely compatible with Mitsubishi?

I'd love some help making this choice!

Thanks,
Laura Feinstein

Jonlin, Duane

Mar 8, 2022, 3:59:37 PM3/8/22
to Laura Feinstein, Western Washington Home Electrification
Laura,
A couple of considerations:
Are you a serious gadget geek, who would really use the cloud capabilities, and link to various devices, and fiddle with your thermostat while you were away from home? If not, the plain-Jane model will probably do fine.
If you pick a non-Mitsubishi thermostat, and something isn't working right, it will be no one's fault - each manufacturer will point at the other and say go talk to them. And all to save a hundred bucks or so.
DJ

Duane Jonlin, FAIA
Energy Code and Energy Conservation Advisor
P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA 98124-4019
P: 206.233.2781 |  duane.jonlin@seattle.gov
small facebooksmall twitter birdsmall wordpress logo

As stewards and regulators of land and buildings, we preserve and enhance the equity, livability, safety and health in our communities.

Mar 9, 2022, 12:05:08 AM3/9/22
to Laura Feinstein, Western Washington Home Electrification
We put in that heat pump. We are very happy with it. We did have issues with the stat though.

We had a Nest (wifi) and they could not make it work with the heat pump. The thermostat they put in that typically comes with it had the fan running all the time even when no heat was needed. I did not want that for energy, comfort and air noise reasons so our contractor found an older version on line. It has optimum start too. Not home so can't tell you model number.

I and the contractor had a long discussion with Mitsubishi regarding the stat to try and make things work. They said at the time they did not have the wifi stat yet.

I really miss the Nest and being able to control things from afar. Now when we are gone for a while we can't turn on heat so it is warm when we get home and the house takes a long time to heat up since heat pumps delivers air at only at about 100F. Also I can't turn it off when I am gone for several hours during the day and I forgot to turn it off.

If you want more info feel free to call me

Holly

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Mar 13, 2022, 8:38:04 PM3/13/22
to Western Washington Home Electrification
My similar Mitsubishi heat pump finally arrived and we bought that NHK-2 to go along with it.
@Holly: Thanks for the helpful information on the control system!

Does anyone know why no better residential control system exists for variable speed AHUs and heat pumps?
As far as I can tell, the "smart" thermostats (Nest, Ecobee, Honeywell) can only handle 2 stages at most.
Is this a patent issue?

If heat pumps are going to be the high tech heating solution, customers are going to want better control systems.

Thanks,

Greg

hollytownes

Mar 13, 2022, 10:57:10 PM3/13/22
to Greg Stinson, Western Washington Home Electrification
Hi. As far as I can tell the thermostat I have is Mitsubishi MRCH 1 1919. The one that runs the fan continuously is MHK 1.

I was a a commissioning agent and compatibility on controls has been a mayor problem for a long time.

Holly