Thoughts on a MR. Cool - Do It Yourself mini split system

Mike O'Brien

Jul 8, 2021, 8:57:01 PM7/8/21
to Seattle Home Electrification
Hi Folks-

I am looking for an economical and efficient solution for primarily cooling but also some heating for my wife's business rental space.

They don't have the budget to put down thousands of $ in a unit they are renting to meet the "few" hot days we get, but since the hot days seem to be increasing they are desperate for a solution better than ice bags and fans.  The main concern is keeping a room (250 sq ft) full of fermenting vegetables below 70 degrees, but some added comfort to the rest of the space would be welcome.

I am considering installing this unit from Costco myself for $1300:

The install looks pretty straight forward. I would need an electrician to install a shut off switch to connect to.  The lines come pre-charged (with R-410A) so I don't need to vacuum them out.  The refrigerant has a very high GWP (2000+) and so I don't want to leak a drop.

I would invite any thoughts along the good idea/bad idea theme, or alternative solutions you can think of.  Or if you know a small local HVAC contractor who would work with and consult with a small business at a small business budget, that would also be great. (So far the contractors I have connected with all give rough estimates in the thousands of dollars.)

Also - any ideas what to do at the end of the unit's life? Or if they move and take the unit with them?  Can someone professionally remove all of the refrigerant from the line and then put it back when it gets reinstalled? I am really worried about undoing years of good work by leaking some R-410A.

Thanks, Mike

--
****************************
Mike O'Brien

If you are needing to prioritize other things, including self-care, please do not feel obligated to respond immediately.

Tom Balderston

Nov 15, 2021, 7:37:36 PM11/15/21
to Western Washington Home Electrification

Mike,  did you wind up using the Mr.Cool?       I am considering it too for main room at home...   but wondering if i would be better off to get MItsu or Daiken and install myself up to the point of having an refrigeration person come in to charge the lines.     I suspect Mr Cool is good quality but  how does it compare to the big brands.

Tom Balderston

Ric Cochrane

Jan 3, 2022, 1:02:04 PM1/3/22
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Hi, All: Working on an update for our rental house and considering the Mr. Cool. I have a couple of quotes in-hand for Mitsubishi and Daiken systems but the rental house is a big, open volume (i.e, not a complex system) and I think the Mr. Cool could be a good fit. Has anyone installed and if so what is the verdict?

Thanks. Happy New Year!

Ric Cochrane