maintenance company for Sanden Hot Water heat Pump

Jordan Van Voast

Mar 14, 2024, 3:55:43 PMMar 14
to Western Washington Home Electrification
I purchased the Sanden GS3-45HPA-US in Oct 2020. It might have been serviced in 2022. It works fine, but I want to get on a more regular maintenance schedule. Unfortunately, the company I purchased it from - Go Green Heating and Air Conditioning - doesn't service it. I was referred to Bob Oates Plumbing and they were just here, but said they don't service it either - apparently, there are different types of hot water heat pumps. I would be grateful for any solid advice on this.

Thank you,
Jordan

20240314_124651.jpg

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE -- This email is intended only for the person(s) named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is confidential, privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender of the error and delete the message. Thank you.

Every single act of kindness makes all the difference in the world.

Jordan Van Voast, Licensed Acupuncturist
on Duwamish/coast Salish traditional land
CommuniChi Acupuncture Clinic
2109 31st Ave. S.
Seattle, WA 98144
206.860.5009
***
CommuniChi Acupuncture website
CommuniChi Facebook
CommuniChi You Tube
***
Dharma Friendship Foundation (DFF) Website
Facebook DFF
***

Rob Harrison cPHc

Mar 14, 2024, 4:05:42 PMMar 14
to Western Washington Home Electrification

Brian Gix

Mar 14, 2024, 4:08:17 PMMar 14
to Jordan Van Voast, Western Washington Home Electrification
Water heater maintenance is usually a DIY kind of thing.  For any heat pump, clean the air filter every 3 months or so.
 And about once a year, flush the whole tank by:
1. turning off power to the water heater
2. turning off the water heater water supply
2. opening a hot water tap in one of your sinks
3. draining the water heater by attaching a garden hose, and emptying it to a drain or your garden
4. after it's empty, restore the water supply to the water heater while continuing to drain. eventually, the water should be fairly clean and now cold.
5. turn  off the drain valve.
6. leave the sink facet on until the air is out of system
7. restore power to the water heater

Do an out-of-cycle flush if the fire dept flushes a hydrant near you causing your cold water taps to be discolored.

And in any case, any professional that services non-hybrid water heaters can probably manage hybrid ones... They are not so drastically different.

Jordan Van Voast

Mar 14, 2024, 4:16:07 PMMar 14
to Brian Gix, Western Washington Home Electrification
Oh that's good news. Tank was flushed last summer. Clean air filter? I don't see that mentioned in the manual.  Do you mean just to vacuum the air intake or?

Jordan Van Voast
206.860.5009
May all beings be liberated.

Brian Gix

Mar 14, 2024, 4:17:56 PMMar 14
to Jordan Van Voast, Western Washington Home Electrification
My hybrid water heater (from Rheem) has a user serviceable air filter that resembles the link filter in many clothes driers

Brian Gix

Mar 14, 2024, 4:30:19 PMMar 14
to Jordan Van Voast, Western Washington Home Electrification
Interesting... The compressor on that unit is separate from the tank.  It may be that the heat exchanger itself might need maintenance more along the lines of a heat exchanging furnace or mini split. But most people should still be able to do routine flushing of the water system portion.

Jordan Van Voast

Mar 14, 2024, 4:50:57 PMMar 14
to Brian Gix, Western Washington Home Electrification
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Jordan Van Voast
206.860.5009
May all beings be liberated.

Mike O'Brien

Mar 15, 2024, 12:28:47 AMMar 15
to Jordan Van Voast, Brian Gix, Western Washington Home Electrification
I don't think there is an air filter on the Sanden's.  The heat pump is a self contained outdoor unit.  I would recommend visually inspecting the coils on the outdoor unit.  If they are dirty, hose them off.  But they probably are just fine so there should not be much to do.

--
Mike O'Brien

If you are needing to prioritize other things, including self-care, please do not feel obligated to respond immediately.

Jordan Van Voast

Mar 18, 2024, 5:00:37 PMMar 18
to Mike O'Brien, Brian Gix, Western Washington Home Electrification
Thanks Mike.