New Induction Range!

Kjell Anderson

Feb 23, 2021, 11:43:51 AM2/23/21
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Hi all, after a long kitchen remodel, we finally were able to begin using our induction stove two weeks ago. Previously we had been using gas, and during the remodel we used my mom's house which had an electric resistance range. The induction stove (LG LSE4616/7) is crazy fast. I can boil water for eggs in under a minute (which incidentally means I need to let them sit in the hot water longer for them to get done) and for pasta in just a few. It means I never need to preheat a pan. We did need to get new cookware, and chose the Calphalon stainless with aluminum layer to distribute heat, but the dutch oven and cast iron pan still work. We clean the glass cooktop before using the stove with a damp cloth nearly every time and so far it looks good, and hasn't had the build-up of burned debris that happened on the electric resistance glass top we used at my mom's; since the glass doesn't get hot, the only food that would burn onto the glass top now is directly under the pan. The speed is the only thing that's taken some getting used to, as pans get to the desired temperature (and can also have lower temperature) almost instantly.

Brad Liljequist

Dec 27, 2021, 1:21:52 PM12/27/21
to Western Washington Home Electrification
Cool!  A cheap induction hotplate is a great interim strategy if you aren't quite ready to replace your range.  We got one and use it for probably 75% of our cooking now.

Paula Sardinas

Dec 27, 2021, 1:53:33 PM12/27/21
to Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification
These are fantastic conversations. But I can’t help to ask where is the “equity lens?” So many can barely afford their property taxes or rental increase. Obviously there are many of us who do this work, and we could upgrade or retrofit our homes tomorrow.

Others may fall prey to predatory lending “green schemes” or reverse mortgages just to keep up with “net zero.” Not all incomes are created equal. How are we going to assist the overburdened, marginalized, poor black and brown who can barely afford the energy cost to run a hot plate?

It’s now freezing and they need some of these unpopular non-energy efficient methods to heat their homes.

We have to have meaningful conversations understanding that environmental “injustice,” has a racial component that must be discussed openly.

Paula Sardinas
WA Build Back Black Alliance

Dec 27, 2021, 2:32:30 PM12/27/21
to Paula Sardinas, Western Washington Home Electrification
Hi Paula,

While not a solution to most of the questions you are asking, my hope is that we can encourage and empower those who can easily afford it to upgrade to efficient electric now. This will train workers, get the demand up, and work through the tough/expensive challenges which will bring down the cost of this transition so it is more affordable.

If there are schemes to defraud people we should expose those. The PACER legislation for homeowners that has been used to defraud others is not part of the PACER legislation in our state.

-Kjell

--
Kjell Anderson

Paula Sardinas

Dec 27, 2021, 2:37:19 PM12/27/21
to Kjell Anderson, Western Washington Home Electrification
Thank you for responding. A few months back, I’d actually considered representing that company (I’m a lobbyist). Two weeks in I heard from EVERY consumer group in the country and declined.

I appreciate your honesty. Never would we want our brand used as “black face.” I agree, those who can afford the cutover and transition should make the changes now. At the same time, we need to bring representatives from overburdened communities into the fold.

We need to ask the impacted communities to join us in the work, rather than making policies and forcing them on the most impacted populations later.

Thank you for a great conversation.

Paula

Dec 27, 2021, 10:36:24 PM12/27/21
to Court Olson, Brad Liljequist, Western Washington Home Electrification
Court,

My firm actually passed the CCA, LCFS, EVS and we consulted for over a year on the Heal Act. I serve on Mayor-Elect’s transition team for Climate.

The biggest mistake most of our “white” counterparts make is not knowing the role we play in WA or nationally in passing climate policy. This is why I can speak so authentically about equity, I’ve been doing it for 30 years in multiple states.

As we look at the Gov’s four request bills for this session and other pieces of legislation I can promise nothing will make it to Sine Die unless we measured and mitigated the impact to overburdened communities.

Meaningful engagement means we need to bring the F&C Coalition, as well as my WBBA members and Tribes to the table from the onset, not as an afterthought.

I welcome the continued dialogue. Had it not been for a coalition built by WOC— none of those policies would have passed. We made a commitment to continue to advocate and engage the black and brown community, and intend to keep that promise.

I’m here and would love to collaborate.

Sincerely,

Paula

Dec 28, 2021, 1:20:56 AM12/28/21
to Kathy Dawson, Brad Liljequist, Paula Sardinas, Western Washington Home Electrification
I'm aware that a "savior" self perception complex can manifest in all genders, colors and ages.  Inflated ego is usually counterproductive, as is any attempt to reframe another person's words and intent.

My original response to the suggestion by Ms. Sardinas (that the marginalized are being overlooked while the dialogue in this forum was unfolding) was merely meant to comfort and assure that such was not the case. Genuinely concerned folks are spending hours working on this equity issue.

I remain willing to talk privately with Ms. Sardinas about the research work which I'm aware of that is underway around the subject of a residential home energy transformation program (or programs) for all.

I think this is enough said in this broadly circulated forum.